Default First time with Accubonds

This past weekend was my first hunt with Accubonds and I was impressed. I was shooting factory Winchester Accubond CT 140gr from my .270 as I haven't started reloading yet. Apart from making light work of Impala, Blesbok and Warthog, it's was the result on a Kudu that impressed me.

On Saturday morning, I left the homestead at sunrise on a farm in the Eastern Cape in search of a nice Kudu bull. By about 10am I had passed up opportunities on a young bull with 2 cows who were blissfully unaware that I was watching them browse less than 50m from me (I had been walking incredibly slowly stopping every 10 meters or so to scan), as well as leaving a few Warthogs with piglets. I eventually found a loner warthog and stalked to within 75m and secured my supply of cheese grillers! After positioning the hog under a tree to keep it out of the sun (much panting and sweating later), I decided to work my way back towards the homestead.

Apart from a few more hogs with piglets, I didn't see much. Until I heard that sound of a Kudu running over rocks ..... I noticed a decent enough bull making for the top of a krans. I sat myself down and positioned my trigger stick in front of me. The bull had stopped and was behind thick bush, eventually positioning itself and looking at me - all I could see was his head and horns. I don't have a range finder but I estimated that he was 200m from me .... exactly the distance at which my rifle is sighted in. There was no wind to speak of.

I was very comfortable and positioned the cross hairs between the eyes with a view to hitting him in the brain. I thought about the risk but it just felt so right. I let rip and the bull fell down as if he had been hit by lightening and then tumbled about 10m down the face of the krans. That was it, I had now happily secured my supply of biltong as well.

Feeling super chuffed and confident, I worked my way toward the kudu to find that the bullet had hit almost exactly where I had aimed. This is what impressed me, the 140gr Accubond had travelled through the head and exited out the back. The exit hole was about the size of a R2 coin, maybe less and the bullet had clearly hit a lot of bone - there were pieces of brain and bone scattered about where he first fell.

Whether or not I should be impressed I don't know - perhaps a standard cup and core would have yielded the same results? Comments?

Not a great pic unfortunately, my face seems to have been in the shade

User

Default Re: First time with Accubonds

The accubonds performed as expected, but the best performance came from the shot. Correct shot placement is paramount. Well done
    I am also a big Nosler Accubond fan.

Last year i shot an Impala with a .270Win 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Was forced to take a head shot as he was standing behind a fork in a tree. Accuracy was excellent. Fell where he was standing. For some reason i could never get same accuracy with 140gr ballistic tips from my Ruger American. I guess each rifle has its own preference, but i am a big fan of the Noslers.

User

How does accubonds perform on body shots from the 270?

Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    How does accubonds perform on body shots from the 270?
    Very well indeed Vellies. I have since shot a few more kudu with the AB and the results were all one could hope for, "almal het bakkie gery". I must say I'm starting to like the .270/140gr combo very much! Culled a good few springbok rams in the karoo on a mates farm and that combo worked a treat.