Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Need help choosing a new EDC folder

Morning ladies and gents, I need a bit of help here. I'm currently EDC'ing an Enlan Coqui folding knife. It's a very neat knife, with a flat ground blade and quite grippy handles (don't know the material it's made from). It is a tad short though, and not at all suited for left-hand carry as it only has a single thumb stud and no other methods of opening (it's small size doesn't really help) other than opening it with either both hands or to "flip" it open with a violent wrist action. That's not always an option, as I often use my knives in confined spaces or with only one hand available, so I'm looking at a knife that's more capable and with a slightly larger cutting edge.

Now I've narrowed my choices down to a few knives, mostly because I'm on a tight budget and don't have much to spend. What I don't know is which one to choose. You'll notice I have a big love for Kershaw knives, specifically their SpeedSafe Assisted Opening ones. Always wanted one, but never bought one. Always just handled and played with them in the shops:

1. Kershaw Oso Sweet: Assisted opening, 7.9cm blade, 10.8cm closed length but no change in carry method.
    2. Kershaw Volt II: Assisted opening, 8.3cm blade and a shorter 9.8cm closed length and a change in carry method but still not left hand carry.
    3. Kershaw Brawler: Tanto tip (which I don't like on a working knife, hard to keep sharp), 8.3cm blade, 14.3cm closed length (it's LONG), but it does have the exact carry option I need, but also the most expensive.
    4. Kershaw Clash: Assisted opening, 7.9cm blade, 10.7cm closed length and change in carry method (no left hand carry), but it's the fattest of the lot here.

So, what are your recommendations? I have no idea which one to pick, my mind is split between the Volt II and the Brawler mostly. My heart tells me "Brawler" because of the grippier handle and all-black concealment options, but my mind tells me the Volt II will be easier to carry (and thus be carried more) and easier to keep sharp, as it has a very practical blade shape.

Sigh. Confused.

Default Re: Need help choosing a new EDC folder

Hey Toxxyc.

I've had very little recent experience with Kershaws but I do rate them highly.

I currently carry a Tanto blade and I find it great as a working blade. Keeping it sharp is no issue and just requires a very minor step in sharpening.
    Tantos IMHO are stronger than droppoints and can take a bit more of a beating but I can't prove that beyond 'it looks stronger'.

I've started sharpening both edges differently and have a coarser edge on the tip and a finer edge on the cutting length.

My thinking is that the tip get abused (and it does) opening things, and generally working, whereas the blade I use for cutting and need it sharper.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Tanto tips are stronger, but AFAIK they're made to puncture harder or thicker materials like leather, denim and thin metal easier. I use my knives almost exclusively to cut things like food, wrappers, boxes, plastic tape, rope or string, etc. etc. However, should I need to use the knife for SD purposes, I would like to know that it's a suitable tool for the job. The tanto tipped Brawler is just too long, it's 4cm longer (closed) than the Volt II, with the same blade length. I just don't know...

User

Benchmade Griptilian should tick all your boxes. Might cost slightly more than your Kershaw options. When you try the Axis Lock for strength and speed of deployment, you won't look back.

User

What about the Kershaw Swerve - http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/swerve

Or is that a little small?

User

The Swerve is a bit small. Saw some other similar-shaped and designed blades and they all have the same issue - lots of steel in the blade but little cutting surface. The blades are fat, but the cutting edge remains a little tiny.

Where would one find such a Benchmade, sarje? I always thought they're well out of my price range. See the Kershaws here are all R499 except for the Brawler, which is just under R700.

User

Toxxyc,throw the Kershaw Blur in the mix.

I have one. Been EDC carring it since 2010.

Ken Onion designed with Speedsafe system. It can be carried tip up and down. Various bladr designs.

But for me is the slim design. Sometimes I wear it IWB. Dont even feel it.

User

Sorry Toxxyc, seems they've gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. Sharpedge have them, but don't list the plain drop point with black handle currently. They've got the orange handled one listed (at a premium price), but are out of stock of that.

Scrap that idea for now, but worth thinking of if the exchange rate ever comes right again!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The Swerve is a bit small. Saw some other similar-shaped and designed blades and they all have the same issue - lots of steel in the blade but little cutting surface. The blades are fat, but the cutting edge remains a little tiny.

Where would one find such a Benchmade, sarje? I always thought they're well out of my price range. See the Kershaws here are all R499 except for the Brawler, which is just under R700.

User

Goodluck finding Benchmade in that price range. Loving my Benchmade Barrage

User

Blur's a pretty knife. I checked it out a while back, but it's too expensive. See I've got a tendency to "lose" my knives. They get clipped out of my pocket and misplaced from time to time. Usually I find them, yes, but I've lost two Buck knives and a Cold Steel folder before. I don't want to spend that much on a knife I might lose. I don't really "mind" losing a R500 knife, but I'll be quite pissed if I lose a R1,500 knife, trust me.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast