Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 416 rem mag

Default 416 rem mag

What do you guys think of remington's version of the 416.Alot of rifles being chambered for it and ammo availability is not just good but its priced pretty nicely too.Box of 20 hornady's going around R1200 at safari.Is the criticism of chamber pressures on the calibre legit?

User

Default Re: 416 rem mag

I've shot exactly two animals with the .416 rem mag, the first was an Eastern Cape dassie, at around 100 meters, the second a Mozambican buffalo at around 60 meters. The dassie was a one shot kill, the buffalo I gave a second shot but only because that is expected when you shoot a buffalo, the first shot would have sufficed. I also watched my wife kill a warthog, also from Mozambique, with a single shot from around 60 meters.

While I'm loath to judge a caliber after seeing only three animals killed with it, I will have no qualms hunting anything from hyrax to cape buffalo with Remingtons rendition of the .416. I've read that some of the earlier factory ammo were loaded to very high pressure levels. However, I believe that this caliber can safely launch a 400 grain bullet at 2300 fps (even on a hot November day in Mozambique). Judging from my (limited) experience and the opinion of a very experienced hunting outfitter in Mozambique, who uses two rifles of this caliber, I would certainly not hesitate to face a cape buffalo, warthog or even an irate rock hyrax with the .416 rem mag.

Thanx T.Well I've shot a kiewiet with my 375 so a dassie with a 416 isn't that absurd. Good to know the pressure problem is a thing of the past.What make of rifle do you have?

User

I don't own one but I've used both the Winchester mod 70 and the Remington 700. If I had to choose between the two I'd take the Winchester.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tigershark View Post
    Thanx T.Well I've shot a kiewiet with my 375 so a dassie with a 416 isn't that absurd. Good to know the pressure problem is a thing of the past.What make of rifle do you have?
    Kiewiets are know for their aggressive nature and will attack without any reason. The .375 Rem mag will be a good choice to put it down with one shot...although I think bullet recovery will not be conducive to get an idea of bullet retention and expansion....using Barnes may be a more functional option in this regard...

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Kiewiets are know for their aggressive nature and will attack without any reason. The .375 Rem mag will be a good choice to put it down with one shot...although I think bullet recovery will not be conducive to get an idea of bullet retention and expansion....using Barnes may be a more functional option in this regard...
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I agree, Rouge Kiewiets are a handful, especially the Dagga Birds.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Loud, yes. Annoying, often. Dangerous...seldom. I've never shot a kiewiet, and probably never will but if I did a .416 would probably not be my weapon of choice. Not that it wouldn't work. Then again, the .416 is not really my first choice for dassies or warthog either.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Agree, Andrew extremely unpredictable... although the .416 Rem mag is not over gun as per sae...would have feel more in control with a .458 Lott..

On serious note,

I was recently reading an old Magnum Magazine recently in which the popular .416 chamberings were discussed and the author had the Rem Mag on the top of the list.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast