Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 80% lowers

Default Re: 80% lowers

Don't stamp a serial on it, you need a manufacturers license to manufacture a firearm

DSG

User

What's with the name in red Dave...is that new? Dealer?

I think though that the 80% route is still better than a 3D printer......in some weird way for me. Actually a small part of me sees the need to have serialized FA's and a registry......background checks etc. in the case of a decent government etc........if you are a law abiding person with no felony/criminal/mental issues then you have nothing to fear.

However........the bad part is a government with bad intentions towards a gun grab.........or some other persecution of people known to have FA's because they are in a national or even international database.

User

I think DSG has got the last word on my ally block. Hours of thinking, and not being able to come up with something new.
    I have a 3D printer here at work, but I would be very wary of a 223 lower in plastic (ABS). 22LR would be fine, after all my SIG522 has a plastic lower (serial number on upper). Admittedly, the SIG is a stronger polymer than ABS, but it is still plastic.

On a more serious note...
    When does a piece of material become a firearm part?
    Receiver: block of ally with serial number? Some identifiable feature machined into it?
    Barrel: Cylinder of steel, after drilling hole? After reaming hole?
    DSG, as a manufacturer, where does the threshold lie?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    exactly, hence the sarcasm/pun to make a 0% lower AR15.
    If I had the time/money to go organize it with a smith.... I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Receiver: block of ally with serial number? Some identifiable feature machined into it?
    Barrel: Cylinder of steel, after drilling hole? After reaming hole?
    DSG, as a manufacturer, where does the threshold lie?
    No way of knowing, as it is not covered by legislation. I guess it would take an expensive court case to find out. Some say that as soon as it has a chamber, it is a barrel. Otherwise it is just a tube. But then why do blanks need import permits. And can't be rifling, otherwise shotgun barrels don't need a license.
    The problem comes in here when we try and find logic to answer questions. Sometimes there just isn't any...
    No idea about the name in red. Must be some heretic marking.

DSG

User

There is definitely no logic! So, I remain anonymous with my block of aluminium, with or without serial number.
    I did notice a USA website selling 0% lowers! Price was a bit hectic when converted from $. Import may be an interesting procedure....

User

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

To further complicate trying to figure it out, note that in the USA a suppressor is considered a firearm!

HUH?!!!!!!

User

Exactly. At least here I can make my own suppressor with no problems. The 1/2 x 28 tap arrived last week, so I am gtg. May need a piece of that aluminium block though......
    We have legislation on destruction of firearms.....
    Hmmmm.!

We do have some advantages. Suppressors being one, and the fact that there is no SBR laws here, you can cut the barrel to any length and fit a stock to anything you like.

DSG

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    We do have some advantages. Suppressors being one, and the fact that there is no SBR laws here, you can cut the barrel to any length and fit a stock to anything you like.

DSG
    Yeah you guys have it made there, over California. No bullet buttons and 30 round mags too. We have a 10 round limit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast