Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Are S&B primers harder?

Been shooting them for 3 years now and in different handguns, first time I have encountered an issue.

User

Yes, tried to shoot them out a second time as well.

After pulling the heads, tried firing them out in a different handgun, they still did not fire.

User

That was exactly my problem. Third/4th/fifth strike and they still didn't go off. Try my other Shadow or my Glock 19, also not going off. And S&B was my go to brand for a good 5 years+

Frustrating AF

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    To add: I used to put significant force into seating primers on my 650, making sure they were seated. My thinking was that over seating the primer can also mean the firing pin isn't getting enough contact on the primer. Never clean primer pockets...
    This is a sure-fire way to damage the primer pellet! The primer cup just needs to bottom in the case pocket; this will be when the primer is flush or just a little bit below flush. Gently does it!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Any half decent pistol should not give a rats backside about any minor variation in primer seating depth short of sticking out so far that the slide wont close.A competition pistol set up with all kinds of weird springs and things I can understand plus I have known enough fools over the years who just love to fiddle and cut springs etc.Never had a problem with S&B primers not now not ever, well except for the mix up with the rifle primers in the 9mm. In my defence the box looks basically the same
    S&B in all my toys including S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers and pistols Colt, Glocks, CZ75s and Shadow 2 and never had a problem, yet.
    However, my 8 shot Taurus 357m digest only Federal primers, spoiled, greedy arrogant bitch.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    S&B in all my toys including S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers and pistols Colt, Glocks, CZ75s and Shadow 2 and never had a problem, yet.
    However, my 8 shot Taurus 357m digest only Federal primers, spoiled, greedy arrogant bitch.
    My 608 had ignition issues from the start. I eventually added 2 thick copper washers under the mainspring. This made it fire S&B and Winchester SP primer quite reliably, with only occasional primers needing a second whack. I would rate them about equally hard/soft. I have not had a single soft strike/misfire with Federal 100 primers yet. My LGS just got in a few, I took them all.

User

Problem is that the first 700 of the batch had no problems. Since then, something changed. I don't think it is the batch, or else the failures would have been more spread in the batch.

As repeated tries they still did not ignite means it is not the firing pin spring getting weaker or the primers not seated deep enough.

Two reasons left; crushing the primers too much when seating, or primer contamination.

User

Update:

Used a hand primer and carefully seated primers (from the same batch of 1000). Primers still not firing consistently. Some fire off after the 3rd whack, some not at all even after repeated tries.

Getting in contact with S&B to hear what they have to say.

User

It may or may not be a primer issue. I once had a problem with light strikes getting significantly more frequent. This happened just after changing primer brands, so the new primers were the prime suspects. Off course when testing ammo at home (yes, I'm lucky to have my own range here) everything ran like clockwork. Come the match, the issue started. I changed back to the previous brand of primers, but the problem persisted. This is when I realized I had a more serious problem. Cleaned out the pistol, including the firing pin channel, but issue persisted. So I checked the firing pin protrusion, and there was the problem. It protruded way too little. Cleaned out the channel again, and then I accidentally pulled out a plastic sleeve from there that I did not know even existed. With the sleeve out, a whole heap of small metal shavings fell out. Cleaned it again and reassembled. Not a single issue so far, a few thousand rounds later.

So my advice is to check, or even better measure, the firing pin protrusion. That is one possible cause that can be ticked off the list, or sorted out.

I have seen firing pin protrusion issues on pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. It is not a rare occurrence.

User

I have been through a good few boxes of S&B small pistol with no issues. My recently bought batch has given me a few light strikes, up to 5/100.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6