Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default guard dog come true man stopper

Hi gents
    looking for advice on a new guard dog
    I have a 3 year old pitbull male that is man work trained and is great at it but he is a useless guard dog and in truth is too small for the actual task.
    I am looking for a large dog that is bred for the task as in perceptive and will investigate noises, has a build in distrust of people when i am not around, ability to recognize friend and foe, and size and intimidation factor.
    but needs to be a family member all the rest of the time
    Ie i am looking for super dog
    looked at boerboels, cane corse, rottweirs, bull mastiffs and neo mastiffs
    narrowed search to boerboel and cane corso i think
    advise would be great thanks

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: guard dog come true man stopper

You need a remote control A10 Warthog.

Jokes aside that's quite a list of requirements you have. I can't help my dogs are pets. But not so sure if a boerboel is automatically distrusting of strangers. I know a ridgeback is inclined to be.

Good luck with the search.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

With dogs, you get out what you put in.

The larger breeds, like Boerboels and Cane Corsos often have health problems, caused usually by irresponsible and unethical breeding practices. A friend of mine had to put down a 3 month old Boerboel pup because its hips were screwed.

Maligators are great dogs. Super alert, fast and strong, generally healthy. They can be difficult to train though and are unforgiving of training mistakes. They are not a great choice for a casual or first time handler.

GSDs have some health issues which can be mitigated by breeder selection. They tend to be more biddable and less squirrelly than Maligators, but aren't as energetic or fast.

Here's the thing about training dogs for protection work: You must be prepared to send your dog to die in your place.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

im no expert on the subject, but if you consider a gsd you would want to go for a working line dog, infact any guardian breed you choose should be from working lines and not show lines, if you want a true beast look at the Kangals or Caucasian shepherd, I have heard that there are COs for sale in SA, that's a true man stopper, For me I Just love game dogs, ESP APT, they are clownish and energetic and will lick an intruder to death lol

User

Olderhill GSD in Limpopo. I'm on my second set, and pleased with this specific breed. Also have two human kids aged 5 and 7.:-)

User

When I priced Cane's and Neo's from KUSA breeders a couple of years back, they were in excess of 12k. With limited no's in the country, I'd be wary of inbreeding

Bit of a left field option, what about a Black Russian Terrier? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Russian_Terrier

User

I also had a pitbull and thought to myself, "meh, he's actually a bit small". So now we have four!

User

IIRC dobermans were bred to be attack / guard dogs. You may want to look into them.

Boerboels, provided you get a "good" one, can be formidable indeed. I had a friend who had one. BG jumped over the wall with a sack of loot and tried to hide in the washroom when the boerboel came running. The dog forced its way into the room, and tore him a new one. The police were able to later track him via the blood trail left along the road ...

That said not all pitbulls are small. Our female is close to 50kg and she had a scrap with a boerboel ... hardest part was getting the boerboel's face out of her mouth. On the other, other hand, pitties are more dog aggressive than human aggressive.

I think your best bet is to find a good breeder rather than fixating too much on the breed itself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Here's the thing about training dogs for protection work: You must be prepared to send your dog to die in your place.
    I will die for my dogs, so there's my plan shot to hell already ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by top dog View Post
    I am looking for a large dog that is bred for the task as in perceptive and will investigate noises, has a built in distrust of people when I am not around , ability to recognize friend and foe, and size and intimidation factor. But needs to be a family member all the rest of the time
    Ie I am looking for super dog
    "Built in distrust" and "family member" does not necessarily go along very well.

Have a look at the Bouvier des Flanders. They are really intelligent, have only one master, are loyal to death and have a problem with males of any kind. As close to superdog as you can get. Plus they look like business.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast