Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Piper knife system

Has any one seen/ know this system?
    http://www.pipersystem.com/

User

I saw a really low quality .3gp video file of it a few years ago. seemed very over-hyped about how amazingly deadly it was (blink- and you die in the dark) lots of short sharp flashy rapid movements designed to confuse and distract, but nothing someone skilled in filipino knife couldn't pick off.

If I recall, it is a system this guy developed from cape-gangland style Okapi knifings. Some of the descriptions sounded geared toward criminal use, rather than good guys defending against the BG's

User

The dude in the video has quick hands !

I find the idea of only training with real knives strange though, IMO something of the realism that they sell will get lost, not to mention it being freakin dangerous to yourself and your sparing partner.

They're a joke

At first I thought it was quite cool then I read their website and the "poser" nature was revealed:
    What are the roles and responsibilities of a Piper Guardian?

Guardians are the high protectors of Piper. This title is not to be confused with 'grand master', 'master', 'sifu', 'sensei' or 'guru', but rather refers to the structure of the historical African village where the guardians are the protectors of the village and keepers of its knowledge.

In the Piper System, guardians not only keep and protect its truths, but are explosions of pure intent in motion. Exhibiting all the viciousness and physicality of blade use, these are the front-line 'soldiers' of Piper. As guardians, they are not encouraged to have large schools, however they can train instructors and oversee classes. Guardians may teach at seminars, aided by an apprentice or a fellow guardian, or assist a master guardian when giving instruction.

Bear in mind, a guardian has to spend most of their time with Piper's ongoing blade and personal evolution...

Apprentice: Refers to a student that spends a grueling 2 years under a guardian or master guardian before undergoing the guardian trials, which is still personally hosted by Nigel February.

Master Guardians are the most senior, most experienced exponents in this system. A master guardian, by Nigel February's definition, has a guardian as an apprentice, has contributed to the Piper System to make learning more dynamic and promotes Piper to the world by hosting seminars, writing articles, visiting martial arts schools and professional institutions to aid their awareness with regard to the blade. These guardians have the greatest skill, possess a deeper insight into the system and guide its evolution. They are regarded as the true and highest Piper authorities and have the final say in matters of debate.

To me, if you have to create titles like this, your emphasis is off the mark.

User

Yes it looks quite flashy but you could just hold out your knife and he would mince himself.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

No broken bottles? No bicycle spokes? Im disappointed.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter View Post
    They're a joke
    I'll go with Geoff on this one.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Just had another look at that clip. Again, the fast hands look cool but I see the tonsil has absolutely no idea of footwork. One of the basic and critical elements of a good knife fighting system, like the Philipino stuff, is superior footwork. If you want to get cut then stand still like this guy.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

I watched some of the related videos and you are right, alot of the stuff is very static with the opponent just standing stock still and the knife dude going mental with the blade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast