Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Biltong drying box

Because of school holidays and me having too much time to do nothing... I decided to start with a project I have wanted to do for quite some time.

Went to Builders Express and bought everything I needed for R212. This included 2 2m x 50cm planks, some screws, 100 watt light bulb some wiring and a plug.

After a couple hours building my project looked like this.

Front view

Back view

Inside

When the lightbulb is switched on

I also put this shelf in to hold a carton 'plate' which we will replace. It will have holes to allow airflow.

I was thinking of adding two fans which I took out of an old computer box. I have the transformer needed and everything but not sure if i should add it at the bottom with the lightbulb or in the top half to blow directly onto the biltong. Are these neccesary, will they accelerate the process? Also should they suck the sir out or blow air into the box? Any advice please.

Please comment if you have any ideas for improvements please!

Default Re: Biltong drying box

Nice.

Drop the light, and one fan for that size box. Two fans dries the biltong too quickly on the outside while it remains to wet on the inside.

Fit a drip tray to the bottom, a foil baking tray or similar will suffice else you will end up with all the drippings soaking into the wood and it looks and is a little unhygienic.

Fit gauze to all the holes to stop the flies, you will use this in summer as well.

Sucking creates a better flow than blowing as blowing could slightly pressurise the container and not create the required flow of air.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Thanks andrew for the advice! Are you sure i should drop the light? Wouldnt mould start growing? So I'm going the one fan way and do you suggest the fan be in the bottom compartment or parallel to the hanging biltong. Also one question.. The drip tray should it protect the lightbulb? Heard somewhere it could damage the light if there is contant dripping on the bulb? Thanks for the suggestions will be implementing them shortly!

User

Interesting what Andrew says about not using the light. I have a 60w bulb and I do find that the inside does take an age to dry. I use a computer fan running off an old cellphone charger (running at 9v instead of 12v add that's all it can do).

I'll try without the bulb next time.

My box is different in that I used a plastic box from plastic land for R100. Makes keeping it clean very easy. You may want to consider treating the wood on they inside in case of accidental spills.

I have build three driers and none have had a bulb and all have performed perfectly. From what I understand people use a bulb to lift the temperature in the enclosure, why I am not sure. So we fit a bulb and before it can impart any heat we suck it out through a fan? Hardly energy efficient. Would you have a bulb in your garage under the biltong in the middle of winter .... the answer is no.

Prepare your meat correctly with the correct spices and amount of vinegar. Make sure your meat is cut with clean cuts and that you don't have areas where the drying air cannot access.

Place the fan on top of the box for the best unrestricted flow.

On hanging do NOT allow biltong pieces to tough one another.

I had a plastic box about the size of yours, had two 12V fans, disconnected one as one fan produced better results. Used the drier in the middle of summer with no problems.

User

Winter in Stellenbosch = High Humidity

I let my biltong drip dry outside, then move it indoors next to my air-conditioner. AC lowers the humidity which ensures perfect biltong. Just a fan and you might end up with mildew. Trust me.

User

Mine has a fan which blows down onto the meat from the top and a 60w bulb also at the top. I just slide a plastic tray into the floor covered with paper towel to catch the drippings. Works great here in the lowveld

Banned

What about using a heater element to warm up the inside of the box?

User

Default Biltong drying box

I made a crude drier using a metal dust bin with 2 x 60w bulbs in bottom and lots of holes in bottom and lid for adequate air flow. Oh, and I parked it on bricks. Very classy.

Biltong in 3 days. Like GameFarmer says, in Cape we need heat to combat moisture. The bulbs in bottom created enough convection for adequate air flow, but a computer fan on top to suck air out will be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    Winter in Stellenbosch = High Humidity

I let my biltong drip dry outside, then move it indoors next to my air-conditioner. AC lowers the humidity which ensures perfect biltong. Just a fan and you might end up with mildew. Trust me.
    Good point, up here it is far too dry. My biltong making is limited to the Highveld.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast