Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: COLD STEEL ULTIMATE HUNTER

Richard83,

If I were you I would not get a folder. There are several good reasons why people use fixed blades for serious work.

1. Toughness - a hinge can break, twist, close, etc. A solid piece of steel is simply better. (Yes, I know someone with superpowers designed this and that hunting folder - why would you want something smaller and carryable when out hunting? You have enough space on your belt.)

2. Hygiene - there is far less to clean on a fixed blade. No springs, washers, crevices and holes for blood and gore to collect, rust, decay and cause mayhem.

3. Ease of handling - one-piece construction makes for a sturdier knife; the handle is solid and does not have the ever-present blade groove of a folder. If you have skinned a cow with a folder you really wish for something bigger.

4. Blade length - a proper hunting knife should have a minimum blade length of 15 or 16cm; reason: the longer the blade, the easier it is to sever arteries, cut through skin etc. A folder with a 15/16cm blade has at least 18-20cm handle which is simply too big for normal use. A handle of that size becomes a drawback because it is too large for the average hand.

I think it is time to do a piece on choosing a knife.

User

Good idea Ds J.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Richard83,

If I were you I would not get a folder. There are several good reasons why people use fixed blades for serious work.

1. Toughness - a hinge can break, twist, close, etc. A solid piece of steel is simply better. (Yes, I know someone with superpowers designed this and that hunting folder - why would you want something smaller and carryable when out hunting? You have enough space on your belt.)

2. Hygiene - there is far less to clean on a fixed blade. No springs, washers, crevices and holes for blood and gore to collect, rust, decay and cause mayhem.

3. Ease of handling - one-piece construction makes for a sturdier knife; the handle is solid and does not have the ever-present blade groove of a folder. If you have skinned a cow with a folder you really wish for something bigger.

4. Blade length - a proper hunting knife should have a minimum blade length of 15 or 16cm; reason: the longer the blade, the easier it is to sever arteries, cut through skin etc. A folder with a 15/16cm blade has at least 18-20cm handle which is simply too big for normal use. A handle of that size becomes a drawback because it is too large for the average hand.

I think it is time to do a piece on choosing a knife.
    This is the best advice! For hunting get a fixed blade.

For a couple of bucks more than the Coldsteel you are looking at, rather buy the Model 1 from Marthinus. I had a look at it and it is a solid folder custom made that will last a lifetime…

Quote Originally Posted by Kletsou View Post
    This is the best advice! For hunting get a fixed blade.

For a couple of bucks more than the Coldsteel you are looking at, rather buy the Model 1 from Marthinus. I had a look at it and it is a solid folder custom made that will last a lifetime…
    Oooo you saw it? Pav's I take?

User

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    Pics please.

User

Was drooling over it on the weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    Yip. Pav picked up some stuff on Saturday and I had the change to fondle it! Great job there! We'll have to chat...😈

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Pics please.
    Check out the thread I posted here.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...088#post901088

Quote Originally Posted by Kletsou View Post
    Yip. Pav picked up some stuff on Saturday and I had the change to fondle it! Great job there! We'll have to chat...
    Anytime. Want to meet up with you, Neil and Pav at one point and chat knives. Think it will be a great time.

Double tap

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    How often do you hunt? If it's 2~3 times a year, a standard Buck or Kershaw hunting knife will do fine for that purpose. I've got a Kershaw fixed blade that's 9 years old now, used a bit during hunting and it still looks and works as good as it did when it was new. Except it's sharper now.
    I hunt between 10 to 15 times a year. With some big hunts were I will shoot 5-10 animals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast