Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Essential accessories for a first rifle?

One of my shooting buddies bought an Acculon when they were on special at S&O two years ago. Nice little gadget, but it hasn't been used on any of the hunts we've gone on yet. We've only hunted in the bush. We have nice range estimation games whenever we practice and plink.

I use hard cases and soft bags and I wouldn't mind only having bags.

I always take an extendable bipod shooting stick with me. The guide usually carries it while we walk. I've never used a tripod on a hunt. I can only imagine it would be more stable to shoot off of, but also take more time and effort to deploy. I've taken about half my animals over sticks and the other half out the shoulder or over a natural dead rest.

What is your experience hunting and shooting so far?

That's one of the reasons I would like to get a rangefinder, so I can become better at judging distances without one.

My experience so far... eish. I was just talking to my wife about this, thinking I could probably write a book. How to become a hunter growing up in a family with no hunters, firearm owners and living in the city all your life! It's tough!

I hunted my first animal in March this year and accompanied a few hunts before that. I have very very little practical experience but I'm studying for a National Diploma in Game Ranch Management at TUT. So I have a lot of interest in hunting. I'm hoping it will soon be part of what I do for a living. Not hunting every day, but just being in the bush etc.

User

MY experience of missed shots over time has been as a result of instable position but more often than not misjudging distance. Misjudging distance is 2 fold...either not knowing the distance and shooting miss....or knowing the distance and not knowing exactly where to place the crosshairs....the first can be solved with a range finder, the second with practice and time on a range, which takes bullets. So a reloading kit will make shooting much cheaper and increase the likelihood of shooting time unless cash is of no concern. The more you shoot(and not haphazardly blasting but taking readings etc. of drop at various distances and memorising them) the better and more comfortable you will become at various distances. The cost of the range finder and loading kit will be quickly be recouped...even if its just in the form of not kwessing and paying for an animal you never see again.

Good luck, hope you have many years of fond hunting memories ahead of you.

Thanks Digby. Cash is always a concern! A reloading kit would be a good investment. But for now I have to choose between rangefinder, binos and reloading kit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Thanks Digby. Cash is always a concern! A reloading kit would be a good investment. But for now I have to choose between rangefinder, binos and reloading kit.
    If I had to chose between those 3 I would probably go with the reloading kit, since I would want to shoot A LOT and it makes sense financially. Although you lose out on not having binos for glassing and overall enjoyment of them. If however you just want to be proficient enough with your rifle and only put through 20-30 rounds per annum then I would go with the binoculars and spend a little time learning to gauge distances and shoot within your practised capabilities.

Banned

Buy the other two first cause then they done. Once you start saving money with reloading you will never have money again. Better scale - electronic scale , primers - oops must have neck sizing die - new cases and those bullets actually not quite what you want - need libe, case trimmer - maybe some lighter bullets - must try the other powder as well. Shit the Noslers are cheep better buy 500 , need another tin powder - and a electric attachment for the trimmer. Now good doing above with out a vernier - better get primer pocket former. You that single stage lee entry level press ait cutting it for your new ability. Did you see that new thingee they advertising on special. I believe that my reloading stuff and components are likely worth more than my rifles all together. 5/600 bullets .270 - .308 .458 223- 204 - and the rest.

OK...that sounds like a lot of 'nice to haves' for a reloading kit. If life was a dream then I'll have it all, but it's not :-( So here's my plan...get the rangefinder and learn to judge distances. Spend some cash on ammo with different bullet weights and hopefully become more efficient with the rifle. And keep all my brass so that one day if I decide to reload I'll have some to start with. Second on the list from the 3 would be the binos, so with those two and enough experience with the rifle I can maybe venture into more open areas.

Binos first and foremost. Buy quality from the start, don't skimp on it.

Rangefinder is really a nice to have. I'd put that third on the list, unless you do a lot of plains hunting.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

How quickly after getting the rifle are you going hunting for the first time? Binos don't help you much on the range, you can see holes in paper through your scope. Me, I'd rather spend the money on factory ammo initially, and then a basic reloading kit (Lee Challenger or similar) once you've got enough brass. And a barebones basic chronograph (that's just actually part of the reloading kit, to be honest).

Then spend time on the range, and get comfortable shooting the thing. Once you can reliably group 1"-1.5" at 100m, get off the bench and practise hitting vital-area-sized targets from field positions (sitting, prone etc.) A 15cm gong is great for this, at it provides immediate feedback.

All builds confidence in your ability to shoot your rifle (which is a subtly different skill to your ability to place groups off a bench) which I kinda consider necessary before venturing into the field...

Then buy binocs.

A rangefinder is probably nice. It'll be very useful when walking and stalking on the vlaktes. But in a voorsit scenario you can do without then, if you take some time to prepare a few markers at you max comfortable distance.

:- P

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Buy the other two first cause then they done. Once you start saving money with reloading you will never have money again. Better scale - electronic scale , primers - oops must have neck sizing die - new cases and those bullets actually not quite what you want - need libe, case trimmer - maybe some lighter bullets - must try the other powder as well. Shit the Noslers are cheep better buy 500 , need another tin powder - and a electric attachment for the trimmer. Now good doing above with out a vernier - better get primer pocket former. You that single stage lee entry level press ait cutting it for your new ability. Did you see that new thingee they advertising on special. I believe that my reloading stuff and components are likely worth more than my rifles all together. 5/600 bullets .270 - .308 .458 223- 204 - and the rest.
    Thats 100% accurate. Great post.

Fishman, you can probably buy most of the stuff at the shop the day you go pick up your rifle. So save up for that day, cause you'll probably buy a lot of stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast