User

Talking The "Bush Pig" rifle

So I spent the weekend trawling the internet, and came across the "Bush Pig" rifle concept, from our brothers across the pond, down in NZ. The basic idea around the concept, is a light, short, handy rifle, that suites shooting in bush conditions, and in a pinch out further, if you know your trajectories.

**Sorry for the linking to a foreign based forum and thread, I just thought that this was an interesting concept, and I for one will be looking to possibly build one in the future

To sum it up, the best short description I could find was the following-
    http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...=1421872053/31
    Quote Originally Posted by JP01 View Post
    With having dabbled in a couple of bush pigs being a 7mm-08 "Bushpig" with 16 inch barrel and over barrel suppressor and a "Super Bushpig" in .284 Win with 16 inch barrel & over barrel suppressor I've come to learn a few things.

1. Be lightweight, short & compact for getting through the bush which brings us to:

2. The cartridge has to be ideal for being fired out of a 14/15/16/17/18 inch barrel like a 308, 7mm08, 260, 338, 284 and there will be others with the right powder, projectile combination or the good ol .44 mag, 44/40

3. You don't want big chunky scopes. You preferably want magnification starting from 1x - 2x on wards.

4. You definitely want a suppressor, a 16 inch barrel without suppressor has quite a bark to it!

Here's the most important one.

5. What ever you built on what ever rifle, cartridge, scope combination YOU have to be happy with it as your the one utilizing it and trudging around hunting with it.
    From all my reading, it seems that Sako's and Tikka's are immensely popular in NZ and Aus, and the Tikka's are seem as great value for money. It also seems that the T3 Lite Stainless is the general go-to, as they're light, and the synthetic stock and stainless steel make it ideal to the wet conditions.

Below is some more info from one of the gents who builds them, with regards to what the mods actually entail, and what their current loads look like-

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...=1379993530/27
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Duley, NZ Hunter
    Here's a bit more info for anyone considering a Bushpig, whether one of our originals, or a copy from someone else. As some have said above, we cut the barrel to 16 inches which brings the can back to just off the forend on a T3 or a Remington. On a Kimber we cut them to 15.25 inches to keep the can in the same place. We fit custom threaded cans made for us by HRE or Gunworks, depending on whether the customer wants the longer skinnier look, or the shorter fatter look. We then flute the barrel and the bolt to remove as much weight as we're adding with the can. We then also add our safety half cock system (should have patented that!) which locks the bolt in the half cock position so it can't be knocked open or closed. The end result is a bush rifle that weighs less than the original and is the same overall length as a 20 inch barreled carbine.
    If someone wants maximum weight reduction we fit either one of our NZH pattern carbon fibre stocks made by McMillan, or one of our very own made right here in little old NZ STUG stocks.
    We also matte black anodise the T3 alloy rings, which look so much better than the silver shiny ones, or we use Talley 7000 series or Optiloks if you'd rather.

We've been making them in 338, 308, 7mm-08, 260 and 243. The most popular are in 308 and 7mm-08, but the 260 isn't far behind. The go-to bullets in the 308 are the 110gn TTSX at a comfortable 3150fps or the 130gn TTSX at 2950fps. The new 125gn AB also works great as 2T3s said above and can be pushed a little faster than the 130gn TTSX. Our usual powder choice is H335, but with the right combination of high capacity brass and CFE223 powder, you can get up to another 100fps on these velocities if you're prepared to work with compressed loads. The best goat or varmint bullet is the 125gn Nosler Ballistic Tip at about or over 3000fps depending on powder choice.

In the 7mm-08 the go-tos are the 120gn TTSX at 2950fps for big game and the 120gn Nosler Ballistic Tip for varmints, goats or smaller deer. CFE223 or 2208 are our powders of choice here.

In the 260 the bullets are the 100gn TTSX for big game and the 95gn V-Max for varmints, both at around 3050fps. Again, CFE223 or 2208 are the powders we use.

In the 243 its the 80gn GMX and the 75gn V-Max, and in the 338 Federal its the 165gn TTSX. We haven't done a varmint load in the 338 yet, hasn't really been the call for it!
    I think they look pretty nifty, and love the concept!
    NZH T3 Bushpig

And another in all black-

So, I'm thinking I might just be looking to build one myself

- Project rifle - Tikka T3 Stainless in 260rem (http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-lite-stainless)
    - Cut barrel back to either 16 or 18 inches (hmmmm, decisions, decisions....)
    - Scope - either a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...vx-2-2-7x33mm/) or a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...-3-2-5-8x36mm/)
    - Suppressor - AimZonic Triton 42 (http://www.aimsport.se/en/products/aimzonic)

So, here's to new things

Let's hear what everyone thinks!

User

Default Re: The "Bush Pig" rifle

Considering the use, the 260 rem doesn't fit the bill.

The 338 federal, well that sounds sweeeet!

User

Thats kinda what i did with my howa in .308 my suprressor is a bit longer thou and not over barrel. I enjoy it so much i do all my hunting with it now
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...206#post828206

User

Or the 2" .458 that Treeman built for slaying pigs.....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I remember Treeman wanting to build it but couldn't remember if it ever got finished.

Gertjie, yours looks awesome! How does the Minox perform?

User

I love that minox really gives me room to play with the 1.5. -8 its also light and compact and i havent had any hassles with it.

User

Looks like a really nice setup.Would be perfect topped with a March 1-10x24 scope.

User

I'm building (well, my gunsmith is, when he gets permission) something like that in 300 Whisper. Zastava action and 16" 1:8 twist barrel with reflex supressor.

Should be fun.