User

Default Vortex Crossfire II

Hi All,

Can anyone give an opinion on the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 scope?

Thanks all

User

Default Re: Vortex Crossfire II

Hi Friedland

I was looking at the Vortex Crossfire II (it was a 6-18x44 though) a while ago. May I ask what is your intended use for it? What reticle are you considering for it?

Let me share the following with you: I was looking for a medium-high power magnification scope to put on my 7x64 mm rifle. I intended to do the occasional hunt with it, but I would be using the rifle much more on the range for target shooting. I wanted to pursue in developing some medium to long range target shooting with this rifle and developing those skills gradually. I wanted a scope that could also allow me to adjust my point of aim by using a reticle system (like the mil-dot, BDC or MOA-type reticles) as well as by manipulation of the scope turrets. The turrets should also have been reset-able (reset the turret cap to 0 after zeroing your scope).

I was seriously considering the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 (1 inch tube) with the BDC reticle. On paper it looked very attractive. You can see the discussions that I had with some forum members and my exact thoughts on the scope at these threads: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...etmaster/page3 and http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...eld-Battlezone
    That was until I actually handled one in a gun shop. The reasons why I decided against it were: 1) The BDC reticle - I wanted a more universal 'measuring' reticle system and I did not like the BDC reticle that much. 2) The turrets felt rather flimsy and had too much play on them with the adjustments. You could not make an adjustment and be dead sure that you now adjusted it to eg. one or two clicks from the "1" mark on the scope. The turrets were reset-able, though.

The above are all very personal and subjective opinions on the scope, since I was very prudent in my choice of scope. If you had the same approach in mind that I had (and for the same application), you might consider some other scopes. If you intend to use the scope for hunting and general range use, with not too much focus and fuss on scope adjustments, reticle system, etc. then I think the Vortex Crossfire II is a hard to beat compromise between quality and price. They also have an excellent warranty.

I have never actually used a Vortex scope, but the reviews on them are generally very positive. Some other members on the forum can give some more solid reviews and opinions on it than I can.

Hope this helps :)

User

Hi wave.jaco,

Thanks for the informative reply. Its going to go on a .3006 which will be a bit of an allrounder. Mostly some range work and hunting. I can get a 2nd hand one for a good price (R2k) and will check it out tomorrow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Friedland View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone give an opinion on the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 scope?

Thanks all
    I have that exact scope with BDC reticule on my .303 and it's great glass for the price. I shoot out to 300m with it and find it nice and clear on 12x.
    It's a great hunting optic and allows for some quick range estimation (for me anyway) using the MOA hash markings without too much reticule clutter.

User

Excellent. Thank you holdingzero.