Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default SST at low velocity? 165gr .308

Hi Guys

I have read numerous threads on Cup and Core bullets, Mono bullets, Bonded bullets. cup and core vs mono. Basically lots of threads on hunting bullets. I did not come up with the answer I was looking so I am going to ask.

To sum up the information I have gathered (which I find relevant to my Questions)
    Nosler Ballistic tips, Hornady SST are good cup and and core bullets that will kill the animal if the shot is placed correctly but will cause excessive meat damage at High velocities.
    The same applies to sierra game kings as they are designed for medium to long distance hunting. at short distances have the same effect on as the sst/bt

My questions
    Could one expect a good clean kill provided shot placement is good at low velocities from a .308 165gr Hornady sst bullet? (same question for 165gr sierra game kings SBT)
    Muzzle velocity is about 2500fps
    impact velocity ranging from 2340 to 2237 ( 75m to 125m bushveld hunting)

Would the meat damage still be excessive? (same question for 165gr sierra game kings SBT)
    I will only be hunting a few Impala.
    Shot placement will be for the heart/lungs

please note that I know that shot placement is key. I will not be taking a shot unless I am sure and I am practicing on life size targets at 75m 100m and 125 from field shooting positions every weekend from now till the hunt.
    Also i know there are better bullets out there, I just cannot find any interbonds or accubonds or ttsx. I can get Interlocks and game kings. I have the SST (idea was to load develop the sst while waiting for 165gr interbonds. this hunt was not planned)

I would like to avoid loosing too much meat while still killing the animal as quickly as possible.

The other alternative is for me to Use 180gr Sako Super Hammerhead factory ammo, as i now this groups well from my rifle.

Thanks Again for all input

User

Default Re: SST at low velocity? 165gr .308

Yes.

Lets look at why Hornady developed the SST.

Hunters who were shooting Deer out at 200 to 300 meters were complaining that bullets like Hornady's Interlock were not expanding well when impact velocity was low due to the long range of the shot. So, Hornady developed a bullet with a plastic tip that helps to initiate expansion at lower impact velocity. They also tapered the jacket very thin at the tip to aid this as well. Presto! A bullet that expands well at long distance with lower impact velocities and animals that fall quicker. The Hunters are happy again. Until of course hunters who don't do their research start using these new wonder bullets at close range as well. Suddenly it's a shit bullet that is prone to breaking up, shallow wounds and lost game.

Cup and core bullets can seldom be all things to all hunters. Choose your bullets for the conditions. If you want one bullet that can do all things at all times then you have to look at the premiums.

Sean.
    Last edited by Sean Murphy; 17-07-2015 at 15:21.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I think Sean hit it spot on. People end up saying "its only good for paper" , but they not utilizing the bullet correctly. See Noslers response in my other thread, they actually recommended the Ballistic tip over the Accubond when shooting at slower velocities as adequate expansion will take place.

User

hi Daniel55.
    i have been following your thread on cup and cores as well as a few other ones.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...dy-SST-Bullets , exactly as you as per this thread paper punching etc. but no real data to go on. it would help knowing impact velocity and bullet weight
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-SST-on-a-KUDU , this post by messor was much more informative. i could work back works and get an estimated impact velocity of roughly 2475fps ( almost the same as my muzzle velocity).

hi sean,thanks.
    was that yes to both questions? from your explanation i understood that using the SST at bushveld ranges are fine as long as the velocity is not over the top i will get normal meat damage.

User

Yes. If you use these bullets in the bush, keep velocity down at about 2400fps and you should get decent penetration and acceptable meat damage. A 180gr bullet would be even better.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I hunted in Ellisras recently using 150gr Sierra GMK in my 308, MV 2520 fps. Shooting distances was from 50m to 180m and we took 5 impala with this load and meat damage was very little, as in nothing to cut away, only brushed the meat around the exit holes.

User

I recently did a torture test with 180gr SST in 308 and 130gr barnes tsx in 270win.

Shots were taken at 50m into a sand wall.

The MV of the barnes was 2920ft/s, the MV of the SST was 2625(HOT, don't try).
    The barnes broke off all petals, the shank was all that remained.
    The surprise was the SST, it expanded to almost 3x diameter but kept together remarkably, consistent with the tapered jacket. It lost about 50% weight, normal for such a harsh torture test, but wow, I did not expect that result.

Given that test, I would have no problem shooting any SA antelope with that combo, including eland, you will have the proper penetration and massive tissue destruction for a fast kill.
    Also, it's remarkable how those long 308 bullets resist wind and speed loss, I also tested them at 500m.
    Cup and core got it's bad rep with the dawn of the speed craze, aka magnum craze, when used normally it performs just as expected, it kills humanely, quickly.

As I always say, bullets don't fail, the people who use them fail to use them properly.
    Use your barnes, or use your SST/BT, but note the below.

Know your prey, know your hunting environment, know your limitations, eat venison.

I had good results with Pergrine's VRG 4's (165g) so far this this year with the 308. MV around 2480-2500 took some Blesbuck and Impala. Meat damage acceptable, distances between 80 - 180M. I guess I'll continue using them for now in the .308

User

I've had SST's fail to penetrate into the vitals of blesbuck twice. In both cases the buck were angled towards me, both were shot on the heavy shoulder joint. Both bullets disintegrated and both failed to reach the vitals. Load was a 154 gr SST at 2600 fps from a 7x57, range was between 200 and 250 meters.

Only pieces of lead and shreds of copper were recovered. For broadside shots where no bone is hit they work well, for larger antelope or where you need to shoot through bone I really would not use them.

User

TStone , do you think a heavier SST would have worked a bit better?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast