Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Aardvark afternoon.

TStone, 15 years ago I was involved in a project, probably in the same reserve you live now, on Aardvark.
    We habituated two of them, and followed them on foot for months.

They are amazing animals. To see them dig away in hard, dry soil, is something to behold; as someone above has mentioned, they are one ball of muscle. And equipped with nails as long and thick as your fingers.

Since then I always notice if I see Aardvark activity if I'm on someone's farm. Apart from the holes in anthills, the males also make a very distinctive little heap if they defecate.
    I'm glad to say there are still plenty of them around in the Eastern Free State.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My wife took these pics this afternoon at around 15H00 a kilometre or so from our house. There are plenty of aardvark on the reserve but we don't often see them by day.

Hi TStone.

Awesome animal that. A few years ago I spent some time on a game reserve near Graaf Reinet. A few days into my stay, I am walking down the road with a newly arrived American volunteer. He says he really wants to see an Aardvark. And as I'm explaining that they are nocturnal and rarely seen, one pops it's head out of its burrow 5m ahead of us, in the middle of the day... We proceeded to see a handful of them everyday for a few weeks after that. I don't think the American thought much of my bush knowledge after that.

User

Over the years I have fallen into many of the holes while herding sheep and walking fences, yet, I have never seen one nor did I know what they look like.... Thanks for sharing the pics

Wow what a privilege,Thank You for sharing

User

Nice photo. I've been lucky enough to see them, mostly on a farmer's land who also had the predisposition to shoot on sight. We managed to always stuff the shot up somehow and his alcoholism problem probably prevented him from noticing.

On our own farm we also lost a dam wall to on such critter. One year my brother had one for a hunting partner. When he went hunting on one specific portion of the farm, there was an aardvark that he spotted. It seemed to follow him for short distances near dusk. Happened about 4 times.

User

That's amazing, really. I haven't seen one in daylight yet, and that one's particularly "cute". I was lucky enough to spot a Pangolin two years ago from the back of the bakkie when we were heading back to camp after a long day, and it kept running up the path in front of us. We gave a little chase to get a few pictures, but could never get closer than about 50m before it tore down the road again. Really wonderful creatures. Marshy summed it up well!

User

Beautiful creatures. Thank you for the awesome pics.

User

[QUOTE=Messor;904858]

My brother lost a grond dam when one decided to create a burrow into the sand from the back, enormous financial loss in water. I wonder what it thought when it got "flash flooded"?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Gentle giant . The two creatures I haven't yet seen - this guy and a Pangolin. Soon please, as I'm in Timbavati and Sabi Sands next month and Marakeli in Oct. Holding thumbs.
    These two and the African Wild Cat are at the top of my wish list. Where are you going in the Sabi Sands Peter? My family owns one of the properties there, spend almost every childhood holiday there

User

[QUOTE=Vaal;905106]
    Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I wonder what it thought when it got "flash flooded"?
    Well, ours dug the hole in dry season. When wet season came and the dam actually had water, the aardvark wasn't around to see the consequences of his actions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast