User

Default Pictorial on loading and shooting a percussion bp gun (lots of pics)

For those of you who want to know how to load and shoot a black powder gun, read on.

Firstly, make sure there are no oil or obstructions in the barrel, by ramming a clean patch down the muzzle end of the barrel, and then fire a percussion cap to clear any oil which might be present in the percussion bolster. The muzzle end of the gun should be pointed towards a blade of grass, to make sure it moves when the cap is fired, thereby indicating a clear channel.
    Select the amount and type of powder to use for the specific bullet you intend to fire. In this example we will be firing a roundball, fired with a charge of 30 grains of black powder (pistol grain).
    This is where the powder measure comes in. This powder measure can measure powder in increments of 10 grains, starting at 10 and ending at 120.

We only want to shoot a load of 30 grain, so adjust the powder measure accordingly.

Pour black powder into the powder measure.

Take the charged powder measure, and pour the black powder into the gun barrel.

Lubricate a patch cloth of the appropriate size. Note that the patch does not have to be round. The lubricant I am using in this photo is called OxYoke Wonderlube.

Take a roundball of the appropriate size for the caliber, and place it on top of the lubricated patch, onto the muzzle of the gun.

Take a "short starter", and use the small end of it to ram the ball a short end down the barrel.

Next, take the longer end of the "short starter" and ram the bullet down another 4 inches or so.

Use the ramrod, and ram the projectile firmly down the barrel.

Make absolutely sure that the bullet is seated on top of the powder, and that NO air gap is left between the bullet and powder. Any air gap could potentially destroy the gun, as it will create a dangerous condition called "short starting" which generates dangerous pressure spikes.

Put a percussion cap onto the percussion nipple.

Aim, and fire.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Default Re: Pictorial on loading and shooting a percussion bp gun (lots of pics)

Fantastic post Mic, thanks for going to all that trouble. I never knew the first thing about BP, well except the Black Powder part. It sure does look like fun.

But how on earth do you load a Black Powder shotgun charge?

'Long Live the Smoke that Thunders'

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Default Re: Pictorial on loading and shooting a percussion bp gun (lots of pics)

Loading shotgun charge is a LOT more complex. I will post a pictorial instruction on how to load a flintlock and shotgun soon. We will be taking some photo's in this regard this coming Saturday. Craig, you are welcome to join in if you want.

I'd love to Mic, unfortunately I'm nowhere near you or I'd have been at the sunflower shooting last week end!

Thanks for the invite though.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter