Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Springbokpastei: Part I

About 3-4kg of meaty bones. I cut up the front half of the buck into pot sized pieces after removing the legs, fillet and sirloin. In the pressure cooker for 45 minutes with four onions, 14 cloves, 1 whole nutmeg, 1 cup of brown vinegar and a cup of chutney.

Banned

Default Re: Springbokpastei: Part I

I am going to remember the combination with vinegar and chutney. (We often use red wine, olive juice and ren onions.)

Springbok sinews are extremely tough when cooked too fast. In our experience pressure cookers have sometimes made the meat slimey; we leave it overnight in a cast iron pot; five or seven hours at 120 or 110 degrees. The meat falls of the bone the next morning.

User

BEWARE: If you allow your wife to open the pressure cooker before the pressure is at an acceptable level, it will interrupt your posting of a fantastic recipe. She'll be crying for a while and you'll be cleaning the kitchen for quite some time after 11pm.

So on a more pleasant note, the meat is falling off the bone, a little bit of the broth has been kept for the pie and the process will continue tonight. The house smells a bit like the Karroo, but I see that as a bonus.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    BEWARE: If you allow your wife to open the pressure cooker before the pressure is at an acceptable level, it will interrupt your posting of a fantastic recipe. She'll be crying for a while and you'll be cleaning the kitchen for quite some time after 11pm.

So on a more pleasant note, the meat is falling off the bone, a little bit of the broth has been kept for the pie and the process will continue tonight. The house smells a bit like the Karroo, but I see that as a bonus.
    Oh shit..... Is she ok?

User

Wow that's serious, hope she's okay! I can remember my grandmother's pressure cooker popped with some beetroot in it when I was younger. It shot the lid through the ceiling, dented the CI roof and my grandfather had to have the kitchen re-painted, EVERYTHING was purple.

User

Awesome!!!!! The purple bit. The other parts seem quite traumatising.

User

She's fine, just a bit sensitive about being called "an idiot". It has turned out to be my fault, but that was expected.

To continue the recipe:

Tonight I rolled out two packets of store-bought puff pastry, cut the lids and lined two pie tins that are much older than me. Then fried mushrooms in rendered mutton fat (well worth the effort) and tipped enough of the meat mixture in the pan to fill the pies (it's about 700g per pie tin). Added a bit of the stock that I drained last night and threw some cream-of-chicken soup powder into the mix to get to pie consistency.

Some beaten egg around the edges for glue and the lids went on, with a leafy pattern made from the left over dough, of course. 180 degrees until the pastry turned golden brown.

It's the best game pie I've ever had.
    Last edited by Proudprado; 22-07-2015 at 21:56.

User

She's fine, just a bit sensitive about being called "an idiot". It has turned out to be my fault, but that was expected.
    How does this always happen. How can it be that us blokes are always at fault, no matter who, what, why or when.

Thanks for the recipe will try it. Minus the lid opening incedent

Banned

She's fine,

180 degrees until the pastry turned golden brown.

It's the best game pie I've ever had.
    Glad your mrs Boss is ok! And I agree that springbokpie is delicious! Thanks for sharing.

User

My pleasure Ds. I was worried about slow cooking in the oven through the night, but will give it a try next time as the process is certainly no more dangerous than the one followed here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast