Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Whats wrong with Savage Rifles?

Have a .22 Savage handed down to me .It has been in our family for 50 + years , have had it reblued and it shoots fantastic groups at 50 meters with PMP sub sonic bullets

User

I bought my Savage dirty ol' six from S&O in Stellenbosch four years ago, got a really good deal on it. As a lefty, I appreciate that Savage makes rifles that us southpaws can use. While my rifle is pretty ordinary, black plastic stock, blued metal, it shoots cloverleafs at 100m so I'm very happy. Also the basic plastic stock seems very rigid, I've never had to adjust zero, this rifle has travelled from Cape Town to Botswana, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, always spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by D 375H&H View Post
    We actually looked at them last weekend at S&O, the sales gentleman said that they are some of the most accurate rifles off the shelve.
    He also mentioned that there are a few Savage employees that travels to the different countries where they are sold. The walk into the shop, take a Savage off the shelve and head to the range. They invite a few peolple to tag along and if your STANDARD rifle gives a better grouping you can have the Savage..., apparently...they say...
    There was a thread on one of the major USA forums, 24 Hour Campfire if I am not mistaken, asking fellow users what the most accurate rifle was that they had owned, standard off the shelf. There were 100's of responses and there were two brands that got mentioned way, way more than any other brands. Savage and Tikka. Its not an empirical study obviously as there may be more accurate 'standard' rifles but not as many are sold due to affordability etc. However, most hunters in the US have had several rifles due to their relaxed licensing laws, so it does give a good indication in my opinion.

User

Bought Axis11 for my son in 308 what a lovely little rifle accuracy is very good

I've looked at the Axis and was not impressed at all. Forgetting for the moment the ugly bolt, the stock is from very light plastic, with a mold line still with a burr on it. The safety lever was a plastic thumb operated lever, with a LOT of sideways play and the shiny plastic looks tacky. It also doesn't have the Accutrigger like the higher end Savage rifles.

Overall it not only looked cheap, but felt cheap and the build quality did not inspire confidence.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

There you have it, some 20 comments later and no negative FACTS. Obviously an entry level rifle will include low cost materials....I am also sure that looks are very low down on the criteria list when selecting a rifle. I have a Model 12 VLP BDM in 243 and very happy with it.
    Although ownership changed during the years, Savage remain a company with a significant history.

Have to agree about the looks, but I am not sure if it is only the bolt - I think it is the bolt, action, cut of the pistol grip and the way the action seems to be plonked on top of the stock, instead of in it...

But, they are accurate. Some full bore guys I know have the Savage Model 12 Palma in .308 & another has the Savage Model 12 F/TR in .308 - one of the two has represented Australia in F Class. Considering that most of the competitors over here use custom made rifles on Barnard actions etc. in these comps, that says a lot. Savage are still the only off the shelf F Class/ Target rifles available in the world.

I own a Savage Mk11 FV .22lr - superbly accurate and off the bench can shoot tighter than a lot of other .22 lr rimfires.

User

My experience is limited to my one and only savage rifle, a mod 12 BVSS in 308.

I did plenty research (internet) before spending my hard earned cash.

yes the bolt takes a bit of getting used to, I had mine ceracoted black and it now looks a lot better, for function its awesome.

My rifle is spectacularly accurate and I have NEVER regretted buying it.

User

If memory serves me correctly the Savage was picked for one of those "build a 1000 yard rifle for $1000"....

My experience is limited to shooting with my boss's son's rifle. It is a Model 12 22-250 with a fluted barrel and thumb hole stock. The rifle jams with PMP, winchester and S&B ammo and prefers federal ammo. We have reloaded some ammo with lapua brass which seems to work. There was an issue with the trigger and fire pin which had to be fixed by a gunsmith after it was taken to the dealer.

Work colleague bought a savage in a 300 WSM with the accustock in camo. The camo is coming off his stock by just rubbing it.

The rifle are on the other hand extremely accurate!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast