User

Default BP Pistol Projectiles

I have found a .36 black powder single action revolver, and have a few questions:

I know one must get a black powder competency

But the reloading or loading components have me tickled

Can I use a modern cast bullet of the same bore diameter as the revolver, or must I use the traditional ball?

ie if I use a .356 115 / 124gr 9mm cast lead head (If the bore is .356 in the revolver), will this work?

and where does one acquire the black powder or and of its modern counterparts?

Yours in shooting

J

User

Default Re: BP Pistol Projectiles

One can use a conical, but balls work better. They give better accuracy. I believe the C&B balls are pure lead and not hardened like modern bullets.

It has been YEARS since I was last in the BP game but City Guns were the guys to get BP from. Back in the olden days you needed an explosives permit to buy it. I dunno how the revision to the FCA wrt Black Powder changed things.

KBK

User

Black powder competency to own and operate the firearm, and a black powder permit which is issued by the directorate of explosives to buy, own and transport black powder.

If I recall correctly .375 diameter ball for the .36. The pistol should either sheer off a thin ring as the ball is seated in the chamber or the ball is deformed to size if the chamber is chamfered.

User

Yip, you need .375" soft (pure lead) round balls to load into the cylinder. Then seal them with hard wax to prevent a chain-fire which might destroy the frame.

User

Thanks guys, very interesting, now the never ending struggle to source BP.

Would love to buy the weapon, just for show, but the other things you need... I have rifle and pistol competency, seems stupid to get a revolver competency when it is already covered by my normal pistol one

Got nothing to do with reloading, as with normal firearms, just a BP Certificate, nuts to my thinking

Banned

I use home cast pure lead .452-.454 SWC bullets in my Ruger Old Army for a back up weapon when deer hunting during black powder season here. I have killed one small buck when the rifle's saboted bullet fragmented on the deer's shoulder and didn't penetrate to the vitals. The pistol bullet passed through the lungs completely and the deer only went 50 meters.

As Kayback said, the balls are more accurate but using pure lead is the key.
    If your .36 has a brass frame, keep the charges minimal.