Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W pricing

Default 40 S&W pricing

Hi guys.

I've just bought a Glock 23 and I'm looking into the ammo I would need. I've had some HUGE help from the guys here on reloading for the 40 which is something I will def be doing as I have reloaded ammo for 12 gauge for a few years and I really enjoy it. What does factory usually go for price wise and what should I NOT use in a Glock if there is such a thing. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated

Default Re: 40 S&W pricing

Not to be a dick here, but why all the research subsequent to purchase?

Not many people here are huge fans of .40 for a defensive gun.

Carry ammo is sometimes a tad more expensive than 9mm. Range ammo is usually substantially more.

It's not recommended to shoot lead bullets through a Glock.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 27-07-2015 at 09:27.

User

I would shoot anything except the Nobleteq and Diplopoint reloaded ammo that you can buy. I don't trust their reloaded ammo; not in a .40 S&W caliber.

I bought 200 sellior and bellot 180gr rounds and 200 pmp JHP rounds when I got my gun in order to function test it and keep the brass for reloading. Then I reload lead (watch out for lead build up if you shoot hundreds of rounds before cleaning) and CMJ, both in 180gr at low and high velocities. I never had any issues. just stay within the minimum and maximum when working up your loads. Also I load at default max COL as mentioned in the Somchem reloading manual.

The "issues" about over pressure etc was in the beginning with the first models (I speak under correction) but I wouldn't be afraid to reload. Just stick to the standard reloading practices and you will be fine. i.e. start with max length, minimum load and slowly work up the loads.

Every round is slightly crimped and then drop tested in my barrel to make sure it fits properly. This is to make sure there are no bulged cases or flared cartridges that might get stuck in my chamber. I can't think of anything else at the moment but I am sure the rest will chime in real quick.

Enjoy your G23!
    Last edited by ravingDIODE; 26-07-2015 at 19:06. Reason: lead cleaning...

User

MOD ...Sjoe.. Use Frontier CMJ bullets, cost will be between 9mm and 45 acp. Again enjoy your G23..Great Gun.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help. @skaaphaas,you make a valid point. I have always like the .40,shot alot of it and to be quite honest,didn't even consider the 9mm. I have a cane farm and shoot alot of Bushpig. I wanted something with a bit more punch to carry as backup. I was told that a 9mm wouldn't be up to the job. A neighbour has shot 2 pigs with his 40,both pigs were shot with 180gr FMJ's.

Or am I wrong? I just based my decision on the fact that it won't only be for SD. Hope I've made the right choice. There seem to be alot of 9mm fans and alot more G 19 fans for very good reasons

I am one of the few exceptions, preferring 40S&W to 9mm. Factory and carry ammo are quite a bit more expensive. And at time, like now, difficult to get hold of.

When available S&B 180gr FMJ goes for around R300/50, maybe a bit more. There is supposed to be a shipment within the next month or so. Multiply that by 2-2.5 for Ranger pricing. Probably won't see more before Nov/Dec.

As for the pressure concerns, they are still valid. The risk is mostly with 180gr bullets that are longer and thus reduce internal case volume, and especially with carry ammo where they are likely to be re-chambered multiple times. I run my 180gr RNFP CMJ range ammo at 28.65mm, and QuickLoad reckons only something like 2.34mm of setback will triple the pressure.

I am about to switch over to 165gr RNFP for range use and my carry ammo is 165gr anyway. Reloading to the same COL as I currently use on 180gr gives me more internal volume to work with. More of a safety margin.

Edit: Do not use lead in Glock unless spending 40-45 minutes cleaning it out of the barrel is your idea of fun.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

I have used my G23 with Diplopoints for the first 200 rounds to get cases, Then started reloading with Sfera 180gr. Just had to learn the hard way that you dont want .401 bullets on a new barrel - get lead fouling. From there I have been using frontier 180gr RNFP and RN FMJ bullets with MS200 with no problems. New ammo is expensive, diplopoints are cheaper but still more expensive than reloading.

The only suggestion I can make is to buy a case gauge to test the reloaded ammo. You can test in your chamber but I dont like the thought of having to press it out from the front as well as the case gauge checks the whole bullet where as some of the previous generation glock barrels might not 'check' so carefully above the feedramp - but that is just my opinion.

Enjoy the G23!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Guns@TES View Post
    MOD ...Sjoe..

Expand on this.

Quote Originally Posted by glock23.40.jw View Post
    Or am I wrong? I just based my decision on the fact that it won't only be for SD. Hope I've made the right choice. There seem to be alot of 9mm fans and alot more G 19 fans for very good reasons
    I love my G23. Not sure about factory ammo, but only costs about 20c per round more than 9mmP to reload.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast