View Poll Results: Licencing/Re-licencing EDC & sport shooting FA under s.13 or s.15/s.16?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • EDC FA licenced under s.13?

29 82.86%
  • EDC FA licenced under s.15?

1 2.86%
  • EDC FA licenced under s.16?

3 8.57%
  • Will re-licence EDC FA under s.13?

22 62.86%
  • Will re-licence EDC FA under s.15?

1 2.86%
  • Will re-licence EDC FA under s.16?

3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re-licencing of firearm (currently licenced as s.13) --> Renewal to s.13 or to S.16?

Hi Fellow GS members,

Before I take some flack for starting this topic, I can confirm that I have run a number of searches on and have read the various topics discussed concerning (some of which date back to 2010 and which probably don't account for the way in which the CFR is currently considering licence and re-licence applications):--

(a) whether to licence your SD/EDC firearm under s.13 or instead under s.15 (OSS)/s.16 (DSS), especially where the firearm will probably be used for both purposes;
    (b) the pro's and con's of both of these options; and
    (c) the possible way in which the SAPS and State Prosecutor could/may view things in the event that one ever needed to use a SD/EDC firearm for a lawful self-defence/private-defence shooting.

Background:--
    I am in the process of preparing my paperwork for the renewal of my SD/EDC pistol that I also sometimes use for IDPA and Steel Challenge shoots (i.e. dual purpose firearm). At present the firearm is licenced under the s.13 (SD) licence.

What are the views on whether I renew it under a:--
    (a) s.13 (SD) licence, which will cover the SD/EDC purpose but only gives me a 5 year term; or
    (b) s.16 (DSS) licence, which will cover the sport shooting purposes for which it is occasionally used, and will also give me a longer 10 year term?

I have also prepared a poll so as to see how fellow-GS members have decided to take things forward in this "totally grey area".

Please vote and provide me with your reasoned thinking on why you decided to and/or will go ahead and licence or re-licence under one or the other option.

Many thanks!

User

Default Re: Re-licencing of firearm (currently licenced as s.13) --> Renewal to s.13 or to S.

License under sec 13 as is.
    Buy a new one for sport shooting.
    Switching between sections is too a complicated process for the people at the CFR.

User

Default Re: Re-licencing of firearm (currently licenced as s.13) --> Renewal to s.13 or to S.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisvw View Post
    Switching between sections is too a complicated process for the people at the CFR.
    + It is always a good idea to have a spare.

User

If it's an EDC, licence as sec13.
    No need to complicate it.

User

This topic has been discussed to death already, but it seems the same questions pop up every week.

The first place to start with a search, would be to thoroughly read the relevant sections of the FCA, Act 60 of 2000. I'm specifically referring to Sections 13, 15 and 16. Each of these stipulates in detail, where and when you are allowed to use a FA licensed under each section. Read and learn. And if anybody (cop, prosecutor, magistrate) needs be educated, do not hesitate to refer them to the same sections asap.

Re-licensing a FA from 1 section to another has been discussed a lot too. Basically, the FCA does not (yet) make provision for this action, so you should explain the proper process to us first, before making it an option in a poll. Has anybody managed to do it yet?

Apologies for the rant, but these facts need to be known...

Banned

You can't legally store a sporting firearm loaded. Not a huge problem if it's a pistol, but a major problem if it's a revolver or shotgun and you have mere seconds to react to a threat late at night (if you find it cumbersome to load a shotgun or revolver at the range, try doing it in the dark while you're half asleep). You could keep it loaded regardless, but you will be charged with being in contravention of the act and be in a lot of trouble if the cops find out. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpuppy View Post
    You can't legally store a sporting firearm loaded. Not a huge problem if it's a pistol, but a major problem if it's a revolver or shotgun and you have mere seconds to react to a threat late at night (if you find it cumbersome to load a shotgun or revolver at the range, try doing it in the dark while you're half asleep). You could keep it loaded regardless, but you will be charged with being in contravention of the act and be in a lot of trouble if the cops find out. Don't do it.
    Does loaded mean with magazine in?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    This topic has been discussed to death already, but it seems the same questions pop up every week.

The first place to start with a search, would be to thoroughly read the relevant sections of the FCA, Act 60 of 2000. I'm specifically referring to Sections 13, 15 and 16. Each of these stipulates in detail, where and when you are allowed to use a FA licensed under each section. Read and learn. And if anybody (cop, prosecutor, magistrate) needs be educated, do not hesitate to refer them to the same sections asap.

Re-licensing a FA from 1 section to another has been discussed a lot too. Basically, the FCA does not (yet) make provision for this action, so you should explain the proper process to us first, before making it an option in a poll. Has anybody managed to do it yet?

Apologies for the rant, but these facts need to be known...
    Thanks -- to be clear I have read (and can interpret) the legislation and have also run a number of searches on GS and read the relevant comments on the various topics. The point is that the FCA doesn't seem to account for the fact that some (many!?) FA's do not have a single purpose only (i.e. pump action SG which may be used for home defence by a farmer and might also be used by said farmer for shooting bush pigs at night with lights and at short-range for crop control purposes... the example I provided above etc. etc).

It really is a pain in the neck to need to re-licence a FA (which may be used for EDC purposes as well as sport shooting purposes), under a s.13 licence, every 5 years. Hence me asking how and why certain other GS members have chosen one route or another.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisvw View Post
    As intimated above, the EDC FA is occasionally used for sport shooting purposes (I subsequently bought a larger pistol for much more regular sport shooting purposes). That said, in IDPA there are a number of new divisions and for 2 of them (viz. BUG and CCP), my EDC FA falls squarely into them (and my regular, larger FA does not). This is some of the reason why I have posed the questions above and started the poll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Does loaded mean with magazine in?
    The FCA doesn't specify as far as I can recall. The common sense definition would be that a firearm with live ammunition in it would be considered "loaded".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast