Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Handgun Stopping Power

It seems that most of us put a lot of thought into our carry ammo. I found a useful site based on the well-known Marshall and Sanow "one-shot" system of classifying handgun stopping power. Choose your calibre and bullet weight and it will spit out your top loads, together with other useful info like the number of actual shootings the score was based on.

Here is the link: http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppi....asp?Caliber=0

Please let me know what you guys think of the info. I know there are many faults with the classification, perhaps you can share some of your opinions.

Default Re: Handgun Stopping Power

Marshall and Sanow have been widely debunked. If you do a search on this forum you will find some references. DocGKR's views are widely respected. There is, if I recall, a link on this forum to his list of suitable ammo.

My view is that your ammo must: 1) work in your gun;
    2) have sufficient penetration to reach vitals regardless of angle of shot (12 to 14 inches)
    3) expand completely- I used to be mildly obscessed with recovered diameter but after a discussion with BigT we came to the conclusion that complete expansion is more important;
    4)retain good performance through intermediate barriers.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Here's the link. There's also plenty more info on the subject if you go through the rest of the site.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/mars...crepancies.htm
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Thorkind,

Thanks for the bed time reading.....

DrDave,

Welcome to the site....you are in for a fun ride...

In my opinion, shot placement is king, penetration is queen with expansion a relatively close third.

The "one shot stop" theory does not hold water with me. How can two shootings be compared if firstly the subjects will differ in size/weight as well as clothing worn and secondly the bullet placement is not exactly the same? The results will then obviously differ.

I think street shootings give us valuable information, but ultimate bullet perfomance (when compared to other brands) should be tested in a lab under controlled conditions. Its the only way to make a fair comparison.

I've had this discussion with SSP, Thorkind and BigT several times as well. At the end of the day, the brand of ammo you use will give you a definite advantage, but shot placement and tactics is whats going to keep you alive. Having super sonic, death lazer, perpetrator penetrator, tungsten vampire bullets means nothing if you can't land a single shot or you get shot in the face first.

Ammo is important, but not the end-all and be-all. Give yourself every advantage you can get, but I believe that most of the premium brands these days (Remington, Speer, Federal, etc) will do the job.

User

Hey Horatio did it last night - encountered 3 bg's - three shots , three DRT. And then some more - can't exactly remember if they were one shot each or what - alzheimers?

User

This study has been completely discredited by experts in the fields of both wound ballistics and statistics. Marshall himself interestingly carries a round that does everything mentioned in SSPs post. Even though this is not required according to his books.

User

Once again remember that all handgun rounds are weak and not to expect anything to be a one shot stopper. I think it is a James Yeager quote " handguns poke holes rifles tear shit up"

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Once again remember that all handgun rounds are weak and not to expect anything to be a one shot stopper. I think it is a James Yeager quote " handguns poke holes rifles tear shit up"
    So true. See attached pics. Guess which one is the 30-06 Springfield and which is the .38.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast