Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default South Africans serving where least expected

By the title I mean, wars or engagements where South Africans haven't necessarily participated as a nation but where we've represented the country as part of other nation's militaries.

An example would be that a very small number of South Africans played a part with the RAF during the Normandy invasion and an even fewer number played a part either in the British or Canadian naval or ground forces. Probably dual-nationals or folks who happened to find themselves in the situation.

Similarly there was a smattering of South African representation in the Far East for similar reasons.

Korean War we were obviously represented under our flag.

My question is - were there any documented instances of South Africans having served in Vietnam? Of course the likelihood of this is diminished by virtue of the fact that Britain and Canada had no part in the war but the Australians and New Zealanders did so they'd have likely either served in those armed forces or that of the Americans.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: South Africans serving where least expected

I know of at least 1 South African who flew for the USA in Vietnam and was KIA.

South Africans faught in the Rhodesian bush war as part of the Rhodesian Army

Let's not forget Mad Mike Hoare's race to Stanleyville.

Also South Africans jumped into Arnheim during Op Market Garden with the Paras. They wore UDF shoulder titles.

South Africans were part of the LRDG.

WWI - france (delville wood corditecrazy)

honey badger had a family member in RAF at Normandy iirc

I dont think a war has been faught in the last century without a South African in it

Banned

Saffers in the FFL? I've heard of two but cannot confirm. Also Capt Fritz du Quesne (who took credit for killing Kitchener) and served as a German spy during both world wars.

User

Deneys Reitz, who fought with genl. Smuts against the British in the Anglo-Boer War, ended up as a major and 2IC of the Royal Irish Fusiliers in WWI.

In WWII Adolf "Sailor" Gysbert Malan was an Allied air ace.

AFAIK a previous head of the Air Force, genl. Earp, flew combat sorties in Korea along with a few other SAn pilots.

A colleague's son joined the FFL at the beginning of the year. Apparently he is quite chuffed. A FB connection posted something about a young relative of his (a corporal in the FFL) that was killed in Afghanistan a year or so ago. Also an Afrikaans guy. The post had photo's of him with his dress uniform and kepi, French camos and FAMAS, so he was really in FFL.

I have Afrikaans FB acquaintances in US who have children in the US Military. One's daughter won an award for best junior female officer after officer's course. There are many others too and our youngsters display a knack for the military. So don't be surprised if we see a Genl. Van Der Merwe somewhere in the distant future.

The Russian civil war immediately following WWI.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

My high school history master, the late Charlie Hallack, served as a liaison officer with the Russian forces through WW2.
    We had guys fighting in Iraq with the Paras and other ground units - 500 at maximum count.
    The son of a friend was killed in Sierra Leone with the Paras.
    The son of a friend is currently with the FFL in Afghanistan.
    One of our Para guys was in command of US Marines and Gurkhas in the Green Zone in Iraq before going to Afghanistan.
    Also, 1SA Bde fought the Senussi campaign (only indirectly part of WW1) in Libya before getting to France.
    That's all I can add at the moment :-)
    Not forgetting the guys who fought in the Congo civil war!

User

Some interesting info there. I know that several SAAF officers moved to the RAAF in the 2000s.

User

Also remembered - the brother of a friend lost in the RAF over the Med during WW2.

My Uncle Roy Schapera flew in the Israel war of independence in the Machal 35 flight group ( Norseman transports )

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/mfa-archiv...olunteers.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast