Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default CCTV - RG59 Siamese Connection Help Needed

Hi guys

Hope someone can assist. I purchased all I need to get a basic CCTV system running at home.

When I connect the power and video from the camera to the DVR, the camera does get power (the LEDs light up when lense is covered) but no video is projected to the DVR/TV. The DVR was set up correctly and all I can think is that I am somehow screwing up the RG59 video connection.

I tried it with a 2m length of cable as well, to check if I damaged the other cable during installation, and the same happens.

The procedure I follow to connect the cable to the BNC connector,

I unscrew the BNC and slide the back part over the cable. I then carefully take off the outer layer of plastic to expose the copper mesh. The copper mesh is peeled back in order to expose the shielding material, looks like the metallic paper that is in cigarette packs, that is pulled back and snipped off.

I then proceed to strip the inner layer of plastic to expose the copper core carefully not to damage the cable. This get's exposed just long enough so that it fills the slot inside the BNC and is then tightened by screw and the back is crimped on the cable. Excess copper mesh gets trimmed off and slid back over the connector and checked that it does not make contact with the core cable. The back part is then screwed back on.

What am I screwing up here?

User

Default Re: CCTV - RG59 Siamese Connection Help Needed

Hi.
    I had the same problem. i left the copper core wire to long so when i crimped it it broke off . Try and connect it without the BNC connector to see if the camera is not faulty like this
    20150809_180250.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Thanks for the reply. Tried what you have suggested, on both the DVR and cam, but still the same issue. Tried two different cameras.

I'm now starting to suspect that the DVR is faulty or set up incorrectly. I will phone the store tomorrow and hope that they are open.

User

Once all your camera's are installed and working make sure that you seal all outdoor connections properly. I had to redo 8/16 connectors that was outside, somehow the bit of rain we had managed to get into the connections and video quality was severely affected.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nooduck View Post
    Once all your camera's are installed and working make sure that you seal all outdoor connections properly. I had to redo 8/16 connectors that was outside, somehow the bit of rain we had managed to get into the connections and video quality was severely affected.
    I did get waterproof boxes that I'll seal with silicone after cameras are up and working. Thanks for the tip.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Tried what you have suggested, on both the DVR and cam, but still the same issue. Tried two different cameras.

I'm now starting to suspect that the DVR is faulty or set up incorrectly. I will phone the store tomorrow and hope that they are open.
    Did you try the camera on various channels/ports, my first dvr had 2 dead ports.

User

what cameras are you using HDCVI ,analog .... ?

User

Having just done one myself those BNCs are a pain in the ass!

Next time I upgrade they'll all be IP cams.

Sounds what you're doing it right, could be the DVR that's faulty

Get a another DVr to test,

User

Tried it on all 8 ports on the DVR.

Analog 960p HD pipe cameras.

User

Did your coax come with the setup? If the impedeance is wrong it wont work.

Also BNC's don't normally have a screw for the centre pin, it has to be crimped to the conductor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast