Page 69 of 102 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Excellent performance!

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    120gr Hornady GMX fired from a 6.5 Creedmoor at ±2780 fps. Retained weight 118.5gr (98.8%)
    Young gemsbok bull (dressed weight 120kg) at ±250m. Slightly angled away from shot. Bullet entered just behind near shoulder and stopped under skin on opposite shoulder. Gemsbok ran ±70m before going down. Significant damage to both lungs.

Very good performance.

Slightly on a side note. Is that dress out weight normal for your area or is it higher due to the good rains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Am I correct in saying it missed facing shoulder, passed through very little and then went through one shoulder and then did not exit.

Know I am going to get a hiding for this, but that does not seem like much of a achievement. One shoulder and no exit wound.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Very good performance.

Slightly on a side note. Is that dress out weight normal for your area or is it higher due to the good rains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mature bulls here normally dress out between 120 and 150kg.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Am I correct in saying it missed facing shoulder, passed through very little and then went through one shoulder and then did not exit.

Know I am going to get a hiding for this, but that does not seem like much of a achievement. One shoulder and no exit wound.
    You are correct and I was a bit surprised at it not exiting. Still, it did its job.

Banned

You are correct and I was a bit surprised at it not exiting. Still, it did its job.
    I on the other hand would have been surprised and doing all kind of 6.5 mm rethinks if it had.
    Yes, it did its job of killing the animal - would have been interesting tracking with no exit wound had it not.

I am at present and have been for many years obsessed with an exit wound, it must exit or you need more gun kind of approach.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I on the other hand would have been surprised and doing all kind of 6.5 mm rethinks if it had.
    Yes, it did its job of killing the animal - would have been interesting tracking with no exit wound had it not.

I am at present and have been for many years obsessed with an exit wound, it must exit or you need more gun kind of approach.
    I myself prefer an exit wound and have said so many times. I have recovered maybe 5% of 120gr GMX bullets shot into animals. In this specific case tracking would not have been difficult, there was ample bleeding from the mouth and nose, leaving an easy to follow blood trail.

User

Forgot to say that the bullet broke the shoulder joint on the exit side. Thick bone does slow bullets down.

Banned

I have had two cases with BWB wher the bullet broke the shoulder on the exit side and stayed in the carcass.

1. Bull shot from the right side and broke the left shoulder. This was with 200gr Impala in the 375HH. The sharp bullet tip was bent at right angle.

2. Bull shot obliquely from the front with 30-06 and 150gr TSX. Broke right shoulder and stopped in the joint.

I agree that the bigger animal's shoulder joints are hard enough to stop most bullets.

User

A full frontal shot on a blue wildebeest actually offers very little resistance to a bullet. There is no dewlap to initiate expansion (like there are on eland and buffalo), no thick muscle and no heavy bone to penetrate before the bullet enters the chest cavity. The first serious resistance the bullet encounters is the rumen and it is quite possible to miss that. I have killed several big blue wildebeest bulls using the 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor with this shot, occasionally even with rather soft bullets like the Hornady A-max. The shot that breaks bullets are an angled frontal shot that needs to break the thick lower shoulder bone to get into the vitals.

Of course none of this means that the Scirocco is not a good bullet.
    I do believe a normal cup and core would have gone to pieces at the high impact velocity. Lead was smeared over the mushroom as per the bullet above with no separation of jacket and core. You are correct that the true test would have been bone, and a frontal does not have all the resistance that a side shot through heavy muscle would have had. Still from what I have seen those scirrrocos a tough as nails. I always advise hunters to fused bullets or mono metal. People paying R5 more per bullet on a R5000 animal taking a chance of bullet failure has never made sense to me

Page 69 of 102 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 ... LastLast