Page 67 of 102 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Exactly what you said earlier in post 655, regarding velocity and shedding petals etc. I towards the end of the GS availability realized that at close range they worked much better at lower velocities.
    I believe that GS Customs recently sold the local manufacturing rights to a SA company which will start making them again. So if you like them you might be in luck.

Banned

Banned

I am really not so sure what I am going to do in regard too the TTSX bullets I am using in the 7mm-08.
    I am pretty much convinced that almost any bullet is better for behind the shoulder double lung - perhaps heart shot.
    Shot kudu for other people again today and the shot behind the for quarters that I favor over head shots at 2/300 m just does not work. I shoot animals and hit bones the TTSX works absolutely awesomely, but the behind shoulder shot results in long runners every time.
    Impala about 90 m
    kudu about 120 m
    Impala about 100 m
    Kudu - dunno, far

The blood trail is good and recoveries have been relatively easy, but sooner or later I am going to have one we can not find, besides that my heart nearly stops every time I shoot something and it just runs away out of sight. Impact sound is negligible if any and other than running away there is little if any sign of being hit.

These same shots result in fall overs within 30 m using cup and cor or bonded bullets.

That said Cody did a bad angle shot on a Kudu and the TTSX just drilled through and dropped the animal on the spot, a cup and core would have failed. (I can clearly state this from experience)

User

There is no bullet that is perfect for all situations. Pick the one that is best for what you need it to do most of the time. I have hunted with varmint bullets, target bullets, common cup and core bullets, bonded bullets, partitioned bullets, solid shank bullets, monometal expanding bullets and Non-expanding bullets (Impala, round nose FMJ, Round Nose monometal, cast flat point). They all work if you use them within their design parameters. Personally I prefer the monometal expanding bullets (Barnes, Hornady GMX, Peregrine, Ballistix etc.) for general hunting but I often take angled shots on large animals and will rather follow a blood spoor on a broadside shot than have a bullet fail to penetrate on an angled shot. I am quite happy with an animal that runs 100 - 150m with a heart/lung shot. I have always found the old Nosler Partition to be a very versatile and effective hunting bullet, maybe try them, if you can find any.

User

This morning my wife shot a sub-adult waterbuck bull (±100kg carcass weight) at ±200m, using a 7x57 with 139gr Hornady Interlock bullets (@ ±2650fps). The bullet broke the left shoulder and stopped behind the right shoulder with the base and shank of the bullet protruding through the skin. The bull ran ±50m before going down.
    Retained weight of bullet 114.1gr (82.1%)

User

Nice. Shows the advantage of moderate impact speed.

User

130gr Swift Scirocco from my 270wsm.
    300m shot on a young Eland Bull, behind the shoulder shot. Bull made about 40m before before expiring.

Recovered bullet weighed 115. 8 so 89% weight retention

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

That looks good, what velocity are you shooting the bullet at?
    The bullet expanded a lot which makes me wonder if it would not have over expanded if the eland was 100m away and was shot on the shoulder, hitting bone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    That looks good, what velocity are you shooting the bullet at?
    The bullet expanded a lot which makes me wonder if it would not have over expanded if the eland was 100m away and was shot on the shoulder, hitting bone.
    The Scirocco was loaded at 3100fps.
    To be honest, I have a 308 and 375 for when I am Hunting bush or expecting a sub 300m shot. The 308 can of course still be stretched more. The 270wsm is for those days when the animals just don't feel safe closer to you and sit around 400m. That WSM is amazing. Range animal, dial in scope and that's it
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    The Scirocco was loaded at 3100fps.
    To be honest, I have a 308 and 375 for when I am Hunting bush or expecting a sub 300m shot. The 308 can of course still be stretched more. The 270wsm is for those days when the animals just don't feel safe closer to you and sit around 400m. That WSM is amazing. Range animal, dial in scope and that's it
    We shot (friend with my rifle) shot a BWB at 40m with a 300WSM and 180gr bullet @ 2950ft/s. Shot was made full frontal and the bullet was recovered about two inches from the anus. Weight retention was still just above 60% and I believe the penetration speaks for itself. Love those black tip bastards. Animal died where it stood with soup for heart and lungs.

Page 67 of 102 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 ... LastLast