Page 82 of 102 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

200m = 2500 fps give or take a few FPS

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Shots at ±200m, mv ±2800fps.
    Thanks, then I'm even more impressed. I've only recovered two 150gr 30cal IBs, same type of speeds and distances, both with about 75% weight retention.

Banned

My theory, and I am open to correction, is that in both cases the tip of the bullet just missed thick, hard, round bone, causing the ogive of the bullet to hit the bone and deflecting and de-stabilizing the bullet causing it to tumble.
    I on the other hand believe this happens when the bullet hits something hard (round bone) on one side of the point while tip is in soft matter but not yet expanded. The hard object on side of bullet (ogive) deflects and perhaps bends bullet. The energia or momentum is in a straight line but the bullet is no longer laying straight to that line, either slightly or sideways.
    This causes sideways travel or deflected travel which bends tip over and flattens bullet on side of travel direction.

Banned

I shot a gemsbok bull with a 180gr Sierra out of my 303. The shot was taken obliquely from behind into the right side of the chest. Distance was about 150m. This was about 3h15 in the afternoon. We found his tracks and saw spots of lung blood. I proclaimed to the guide that he would be just ahead. We found him after about 300m looking back at us. Before I could shoot he took off and we did not see him again for the rest of the afternoon.

Every five to six metres there would be a big blob of lung blood. Checking now on Google Earth he traveled about 4km before it got dark and we had to abandon the pursuit. The next morning we easily found the blood spoor and it went up a slight incline. We found two resting places with a lot of watery blood. Moving along we suddenly heard a commotion and saw the buck moving very slowly through thick bush. When he stopped my luck shot broke its back and killed it on the spot.

That spot was right next to a dirt track that made retrieval very easy. The post mortem exposed the bullet lodged in the small fillet against the ribcage. Only one lung had been penetrated. The tip of the bullet was bent at 90 degrees. It seems as though the tip hit a rib and bent over. It then tumbled and lodged in the fillet. That occurrence and a subsequent bad experience with a warthog put me off lead/copper bullets. Since then I have used monometal bullets with good success. I do not want to experience the stress and disappointment of leaving a wounded animal in the veldt.

User

Bullets do weird things unfortunately it's part of the game. I shot a waterbuck bull that had been shot on the shoulder with 180 grain Barnes X in 300H&H. Bullet hit the shoulder joint turned 90 degrees, traveled down the leg between bone and skin and exited near the hoof.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 458Exp View Post
    200m = 2500 fps give or take a few FPS
    2420 ft/s, give or take a few ft/s

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Bullets do weird things unfortunately it's part of the game. I shot a waterbuck bull that had been shot on the shoulder with 180 grain Barnes X in 300H&H. Bullet hit the shoulder joint turned 90 degrees, traveled down the leg between bone and skin and exited near the hoof.
    I recently saw an Impala ewe shot on the left shoulder angling from the front with a 162 gr Hornady SST, 7X64. There was a patch of blood on the scene, followed by a few drops and then nothing. After searching for about an hour we found the ewe. The bullet had deflected from the shoulder across the rib cage, cleanly cutting the ribs and the front of the abdomen. No organ was touched. As the ewe ran she slowly eviscerated herself. When found one lung, the liver, gall bladder and stomach were hanging outside the body. There was very little organ damage or bleeding. Even the gall bladder was still intact.

User

250gr Nosler Accubond 9.3mm bullets. Nosler factory loads.
    Bullet in centre: Recovered from eland cow shot at ±200m. Full frontal shot in "die kuiltjie" recovered in rumen. Recovered weight 234.7gr (93.9%)
    Bullet on right: Recovered from eland cow shot at ±150m. Angled away from shot. Entry just behind right shoulder, recovered under skin on left shoulder. Recovered weight 183.9gr (73.6%)

Three 129gr Hornady Interbond 6.5 mm bullets recovered from a gemsbuck. I was not involved in the hunt but according to the ph the first shot was too far back, resulting in the follow up of the gutshot animal. The second shot was an angling shot from behind at a running animal, which I believe was the bullet on the right (more on that later) and the third shot was a broadside shoulder shot. The ph did not recover the bullets himself and did not know which bullet was from which shot.

None of the shots were taken through vegetation or any other obstruction.

I have only once encountered a bullet looking like the one on the right, recovered from an animal, and I have dug a lot of bullets out of game. The previous bullet looking like that came from a pig shot facing the hunter at a steep angle. That bullet, a 165gr Sierra Gameking fired from a .308 win, hit the thick shoulder joint and deflected, travelling between the skin and the ribcage. The pig was killed with a second shot.

My theory, and I am open to correction, is that in both cases the tip of the bullet just missed thick, hard, round bone, causing the ogive of the bullet to hit the bone and deflecting and de-stabilizing the bullet causing it to tumble.

I have seen a similar bullet as on the right. Was an army issue FMJ from a 308 into a buffalo bull. Shot was out of a tree as bull charged hunter. Bullet entered next to back bone, between the ribs and lodged in one lung.

User

.308" 180gr Barnes TTSX.
    .30-378 Weatherby Magnum
    MV ±3300
    Impact velocity ± 2400fps.
    Retained weight 179.1gr (99.5%)
    Waterbuck bull at 400m.
    Entry on shoulder, bullet recovered under skin behind far shoulder.

Page 82 of 102 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast