Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Thats why in another thread i stated that thus far they are the only PMP offering i have a serious issue with and will not use again....especially on buff...
    People use those on buff?

But why :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    People use those on buff?But why :)
    Because they available and cheap....and well ...people like cutting costs and more often than not dont know any better...hell PMP have a buff on the box ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Because they available and cheap....and well ...people like cutting costs and more often than not dont know any better...hell PMP have a buff on the box ;)
    Marketing

Anyways, while we are in the bullet performance database, sometime you must give me feedback on the 300gr bullets you tried in 338.

My life won't be complete until I hunted something big with a 300gr bullet out of the 338.
    That SD of .375 is just too ridiculous to pass up :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Marketing Anyways, while we are in the bullet performance database, sometime you must give me feedback on the 300gr bullets you tried in 338. My life won't be complete until I hunted something big with a 300gr bullet out of the 338. That SD of .375 is just too ridiculous to pass up :)
    Haha il see what i can do but to be honest i havnt recovered any thus far that i can remeber. Not a big bullet puller ;) If it works it works. Havnt shot anything solid/heavy enough yet. Only kudu,pigs and a zebra( bladskoot so pass through). Maybe il try a frontal on a pig some time. The 22-250 has been working overtime at the moment so when i get some me time a good stalk on an eland is due.Last week culled 40 Zebra. All headshots. No bullet recoveries as carcasses were dressed and loaded onto cold truck. But as an indication. All head shots. 22-250 hornady 55 grain varmint, 243 100 grain pmp and 30-06 168? Grain pmp used. All bullets completed their tasks. 100m to 250m shots.Conclusion is they where used within spec and placed correctly....

User

The only available bullet i have a gipe with is that pesky PMP 375 soft.It just doesn't work for what its designed for.

User

Had the opportunity to do some impala hunting this last weekend. As it were my .223 is still waiting for a new stock and the 243 would have been too heavy to slog around in 40deg C weather so I took the trusty 9.3x62 along.

The ammo I use for this rifle is hand loaded 286gr Swift A-Frames in front of 55.7gr S341 giving a muzzle velocity of 2350FPS. This combination is truly effective and given correct shot placement usually results in a bangflop. However this was not the case on this particular trip.

I shot 3 impala ewes, all 3 heart shots at distances ranging from 70 -150M from different shooting positions, twice prone and once standing without support. All three ewes went some distance before expiring the shortest distance being 50M and the longest run being 120M. On all three the bullet exited with a corresponding 2-2.5" exit hole, on all three the shots missed major bones and on all three there was virtually no bloodshot meat. Interestingly too was the absence of blood on the spoor during follow up(This makes tracking somewhat difficult especially when you are dealing with a herd of 20+ animals scattering in all directions into dense bush and on hard ground).

To what do I contribute the distances these ewes ran after being mortally wounded?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post

To what do I contribute the distances these ewes ran after being mortally wounded?
    I suppose it comes down to hard bullets do not get enough resistance to really do some real damage to the animal, thus they take longer to expire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    I suppose it comes down to hard bullets do not get enough resistance to really do some real damage to the animal, thus they take longer to expire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure about that, the Aframes expand very nicely, I have shot 3 impala rams with 180gr Aframes. 1 and about 40m, 1 at about 70m and 1 at 150m. All heart shots. The close animals took a few wobbly steps(where the guide still said shoot again) then fell. The 150m shot the ram moved the most at about 5m.
    Exit wounds were all much larger then entry wounds.

I also shot a Kudu bull,heart shot. damm thing ran without a drop of blood in the spoor! thought I missed had me worried.

my load was a 180gr Aframes @2430fps from a .308win

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post

On all three the bullet exited with a corresponding 2-2.5" exit hole
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    I suppose it comes down to hard bullets do not get enough resistance to really do some real damage to the animal
    Very big hole that, too big according to myself but if it's correct the bullet did what it needed to do.

Banned

Animals, especially pregnant ewes, just dont fall over and die.

Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast