Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CZ 375 H&H
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Bullets recovered from a buffalo bull.

.375 H&H
    Peregrine VRG3, 300gr.
    Muzzle velocity: 2485fps.
    Left: Shoulder shot at ±100m. Retained weight 298.3gr (99.4%). Bullet penetrated both shoulders, punched through heart (see pic 2) and lungs and stopped under skin of off shoulder. Buff ran less than 20m and went down bellowing. Was dead when we reached him.
    Right: Insurance shot with bull lying down on his side, already dead. Shot into spine at ±5m, angling forward. Punched hole through spine large enough to insert two of my fingers. Stopped in front of shoulder. Retained weight 257.4gr (85.8%).

Would be interesting to know the diameter of the peregrine vs the Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Would be interesting to know the diameter of the peregrine vs the Barnes

Recovered diameter of bullet on left: 15.9mm. (1.67x original diameter). Advantage of the Peregrine here is that entry wound is almost caliber diameter, which allows good bleeding from entry wound. I do believe that the Barnes is a better all round bullet but for close range work, I prefer the Peregrine.

Note: I have hunted with both the Peregine VRG-3 300gr and the Barnes TSX 270gr in the .375 H&H. I have also seen both bullets used on buffalo bulls (see post #726 in this thread). As I said, for this scenario, I would pick the Peregrine.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Recovered diameter of bullet on left: 15.9mm. (1.67x original diameter). Advantage of the Peregrine here is that entry wound is almost caliber diameter, which allows good bleeding from entry wound. I do believe that the Barnes is a better all round bullet but for close range work, I prefer the Peregrine.

Note: I have hunted with both the Peregine VRG-3 300gr and the Barnes TSX 270gr in the .375 H&H. I have also seen both bullets used on buffalo bulls (see post #726 in this thread). As I said, for this scenario, I would pick the Peregrine.
    Thanx T Stone. Trying to get as much info on 375 bullets before I take plunge to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Thanx T Stone. Trying to get as much info on 375 bullets before I take plunge to reload.

The best bullet will depend on the intended application. I have found the 250gr Hornady GMX and 270gr Barnes TSX to be very good all-round bullets for antelope and pig hunting, either of these will also work on buffalo provided you choose your shot carefully.

I have not used the 250gr and 270gr Peregrine VLR-4 bullets but I'm sure that they will work well too.

Two Hornady .375" bullets, both recovered from gemsbok bulls shot at ±200m.

Left: 270gr Hornady Interlock. Muzzle velocity 2470fps. Retained weight 240gr (88.9%).

Right: 250gr Hornady GMX. Muzzle velocity 2680fps. Retained weight 245.5gr (98.2%).

Banned

Question to TStone. I had one experience where a young Impala ram faced me at an angle. My shot with a 235TSX entered just behind the right shoulder and exited the stomach just in front of the left leg, thus an oblique in and out. The ram ran off and every time we flushed him, he jumped into the air as if nothing was wrong with him. This went on for about 500m before he lay down in a bush. I was lucky to see him and put in a mercy shot to the head.

The harder bullet seems to not have expanded and although the liver was touched it did not initially show any effect on the animal.

Have you experienced anything similar? I have rather used my 7x64 and or my 30-06 on Impala as from that experience and have had clean kills. Agreeably the shot placements were much better, but I now have doubts on the 375 as a calibre for smaller antelope.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Question to TStone. I had one experience where a young Impala ram faced me at an angle. My shot with a 235TSX entered just behind the right shoulder and exited the stomach just in front of the left leg, thus an oblique in and out. The ram ran off and every time we flushed him, he jumped into the air as if nothing was wrong with him. This went on for about 500m before he lay down in a bush. I was lucky to see him and put in a mercy shot to the head.

The harder bullet seems to not have expanded and although the liver was touched it did not initially show any effect on the animal.

Have you experienced anything similar? I have rather used my 7x64 and or my 30-06 on Impala as from that experience and have had clean kills. Agreeably the shot placements were much better, but I now have doubts on the 375 as a calibre for smaller antelope.
    I have used the 250gr GMX (.375 H&H) on blesbuck at 300m and judging from the size of the exit wound it expanded well. The blesbuck dropped within a few meters. I have also shot a number of springbok and blesbuck with a 9.3x62 using a variety of bullets including Hornady GMX 250gr, Hornady Interlock 286gr and Peregrine 230gr without any problems. I do try to shoot everything on the shoulder (or at least hit one shoulder) which, I think, do make a difference if you are using harder bullets.

While a shot that hit the liver, but not the lungs or heart, will kill an animal it is rarely a quick death. The problem with shots behind the shoulder is that the only vital organs situated there are a small part of the lungs and then the liver. Shooting an animal that is angling towards the shot, behind the shoulder rarely ends well. A shot so placed is just not going to hit anything that can cause rapid death. A fragile bullet will probably kill quicker on a shot like this, because it will cause more damage to the liver and the rear lobe of one lung (if it hits that).

Banned

The Impala were skittish as it was late in the season and I took a standing shot over a bipod. The range was over 100m and a quick shot was taken. Shot hit 2 to 3 inches too far to the left. The soft flesh and stomach then did not contribute to expansion. An "oops" shot at best. Margins for error are small at times.

Page 75 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast