Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default flying and firearms

Hi guys

Please can you advise me on the procedure for flying domestic and taking your SD firearm with?

I often do work in areas of the country where I would like to have my SD firearm but am unsure of the procedure/safety, etc when flying.

Can anyone advise?

cheers and thanks

User

I dont fly that much (my arms get too tired from all the flapping) but the last I heard that only SAA had a policy of allowing firearms to be booked in prior to your flight. I believe they have a courier service which handle the logistics. Some red tape involved and some moolah too, cant remember the amount though. Dont know about Kulula or the others.
    British Airways flatly refuse to take any firearms on board, excepting sporting arms, depending on who you talk to.
    Probably best to enquire at the airline specifically.

User

As far as I remember even SAA only allows firearms issued under sporting licenses, and only at certain airports. George for example, is a no no.. which sucks.

I have only used SAA but have done this several times in the last couple of years.

You will need a locked hard case for the firearm and another for any ammunition you choose to take. Don't bother to leave the ammo in your checked baggage, even though their website and regs say you can do that if it weighs less than 5 kilos...they have apparently chenged their mind on that one. Recognize that many counter workers will not know the exact regs themselves, so while one may allow you to declare the ammo and leave it in your checked bag, you WILL get a call back to the counter later to sort it out. Save the trouble and declare gun and ammo at the same time but in two different locked, hard containers. Ammo should be in original or plastic boxes inside the case.

You will have to first check any checked baggage, (tell the counter person you have a firearm to declare...they may tag it there or let them do it at the Firearms Office...I have had them do both at different times) No matter, you will still have to take firearm and ammo to the Firearms Office and declare them, show your license and ID, open the case to assure them the gun is unloaded (I always break down my pistol before packing it...makes them feel better ya know) and they will check the serial number, etc. I have yet to have them ask to see any ammo, but they might I suppose. There is a R100 fee for shipping a handgun but none that I am aware of for a long gun. You pay the fee in the office and will get a reciept...do NOT lose that reciept!!!

When you get to your destination, collect your checked baggage and then go to the Firerms Office...they will usually get any guns on the flight into the office there pretty quick. Present the Firearms guy or gal with the receipt, sign the book, collect your gun and ammo and you are outta there!

I have only done this at CPT, Durban and JHB (Tambo) Airports so cannot say about elsewhere.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

I fly regularly and only fly with SAA as they are the only airline willing to transport my handgun as well. Cost is R100 handling fee or R60 if you store your firearm at the airport until your return. (Max of 5 days allowed)

This only applies to SAA and not SA Airlink or SA Express.

Procedure is as follows:
    - You book in normally (at the counter or self service) and get your boarding pass.
    - You then sign in your firearm at the firearm counter (right next to metal detectors at OR Tambo) I always add knife, leatherman and extra magazines here as well.
    - You receive a tax invoice as receipt which you again use at the destination airport firearm counter, together with your license, to collect your firearm.

Ikor, I find your comment about the separate hard cases for a gun and ammo interesting. I have actually never placed my handgun in any kind of container or case. The last time I flew SAA was November 2009.

I arrive at the firearm counter with my Glock on my hip and a round in the chamber. I then unload it in the designated area before signing it in. The unloaded gun + 3 loaded magazines + leatherman + folder then get sealed in their plastic bag. Only firearm and number of rounds of ammunition gets logged in the register. At the destination I remove all items from the plastic bag, reload my gun in the designated area, holster and then leave.

I never declare my firearm when I checkin as I once had a bit of an issue at Cape Town airport when the checkin clerk wanted me to place my loaded gun on the scale so she could weigh and tag it After some harsh words and her manager's intervention I got my way.

User

Restrictions:

* No automatic, semi-automatic firearms or military weapons are allowed
    * No firearms for self-defense allowed
    * Only one firearm per caliber allowed
    * Only 200 rounds of ammunition allowed per firearm
    * No handguns may be imported to South Africa without the necessary prior obtained permits
    * Person must be 21 years and older to enable them to import a firearm to South Africa

Gizmo the restrictions and requirements you are referring too are applicable when you apply for a "temporary import permit". Thus they are only applicable to foreigners who want to bring firearms into SA. Probably aimed at hunters and sport shooters bringing their firearms with them.

I see the notes about the cases and separation of gun and ammo but I have never been asked to comply with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    Ikor, I find your comment about the separate hard cases for a gun and ammo interesting. I have actually never placed my handgun in any kind of container or case. The last time I flew SAA was November 2009.

I arrive at the firearm counter with my Glock on my hip and a round in the chamber. I then unload it in the designated area before signing it in. The unloaded gun + 3 loaded magazines + leatherman + folder then get sealed in their plastic bag. Only firearm and number of rounds of ammunition gets logged in the register. At the destination I remove all items from the plastic bag, reload my gun in the designated area, holster and then leave.

I never declare my firearm when I checkin as I once had a bit of an issue at Cape Town airport when the checkin clerk wanted me to place my loaded gun on the scale so she could weigh and tag it After some harsh words and her manager's intervention I got my way.
    Yes. I have seen other guys just walk in, unload a holstered pistol inside the office and leave it (I assume they seal it, etc. for transport) I am not a SA citizen, so I do my best to look sorta dumb and put them at ease...thus I break down my pistol, and do not ever include the recoil spring assembly or any mags / ammo. etc. in the case with the gun. This has worked well for me, and I do not plan to change it, but if your way works for you, fine. I do not...ever...enter the airport with a loaded firearm if I am flying with it. Remember, the clerks in the Firearms Office are only marginally competent...or at least all I have dealt with were...and the fewer things they have to question, the smooter the transaction will go...hopefully.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast