Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How good is this gun?

Hi Guys

Some advice please, I recently decided to get a firearm for SD purposes, so I went to a gunshop & chose a few guns that I wanted to shoot. fighting0035
    I shot a Tanfoglio (witness), S&W 38 special, CZ 75 (fullsize) & (compact) & a Glock 19 the 26 does not fit in my hand.

The CZ 75 compact felt really good in my hands, but I shot the fullsize better( more accurately), I did not enjoy shooting the G19 as it felt a bit unnatural. I enjoyed the 38 special.

I purchased the CZ 75 Compact as it was more practical for me at least for daily carry & I was told CZ is accurate & reliable.

I then saw a H&K USP 9mm compact. I like this gun, might buy one once I get used to carrying. Also heard alot of good things about it.

How many of you own a CZ 75 compact & in your opinion, how good is it?

I would also like to shoot IDPA in the future once I have my license, can I use the CZ compact, Isn't it be better to train with your carry gun, as this is the one that you will use in a SD situation? confused0083

Thanks

Teez

Default Re: How good is this gun?

I don't own a CZ75 compact. I have however seen a couple on the range. They are ok. They like their bigger brothers eat slide stops.

If you get into IDPA I would suggest that you don't buy a compact gun to compete. You can shoot them but you are probably going to do better with the bigger version.

You certainly can shoot your compact in IDPA in SSP or ESP depending on condition of carry.

IDPA is not training.

Play with your game guns and train with your fighting guns.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I owned a CZ75 and my wife had a CZ75 compact years ago. I have shot both and never had any problems with the compact. Yes, you can use it in IDPA and IPSC for that matter. They are good but not on the same reliability level as the Glocks (IMO). I cant say that I have heard any less reliabable issues with the compact compared to the full size version. You will shoot the full size better than the compact. The same will apply to the G26 vs the G19 vs the G17....the bigger the gun, the easier it is to shoot and handle.

I personally like the idea of shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot....but that is up to you to decide....

There are parts that do go on the CZ's like Slide Stops and Extractors (I have seen quite a few break) but they are relative good and reliable. Yes, it would not be my first choice, but I could live with it if I had made the choice to go that route. There are quite a few CZ shooters and in general they are quite happy.

I think you bought a pretty decent gun. Nothing wrong with it for SD or even the IDPA. All the CZ's that I've shot worked and worked well. I don't own one, so my opinion/experience is rather limited.

I do, however, think that the Glock 19 is a tad better. More durable. As far as the "unnatural feel" goes, once you are used to the grip angle (which is a tad more aggressive than with most hand guns), other guns will feel unnatural. I kinda prefer it. I think the G19 makes one hell of a carry gun. Only Glock I'd maybe choose over it is my G17...but its basically the same thing! If the price is right and the dealer is willing, I'd consider changing prior to licence application. Can't go wrong with a G19.

As far as the USP is concerned...don't get me started. I'm a bit of a USP slut. I carry a USP40 Compact for SD. Mine has worked hard without any failures of any kind. Only downside is that spares are hard to come by (Rosenthal's in the Cape about the only dealer) and rather expensive. But then again, I haven't needed anything after 15000 rounds through it and still going strong.

I'm glad you went with an auto loader vs. revolver. You just can't beat the value of capacity!

These are just my opinions and carry no weight whatsoever.

IDPA is not training.

sorry,my mistake, but isn't it a sport that teaches you to better your shooting skills,speed, safety etc ? IMO, you are learning & improving yourself, thus I take it as training.

Correct, IDPA is not training but it gives you exposure to meet people and share ideas, it gives you valuable trigger time and increase your firearm handling skills / capebility and is loads of fun as a bonus....

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    I personally like the idea of shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot....but that is up to you to decide....
    I agree, to an extent, and I do this. I carry a 17 and shoot a 35. They are sufficiently similar for trigger time on one to carry over to the other.

However, its good to have a spare gun for when whatever you have breaks. (and they all do at some point)
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    IIDPA is not training.
    Jaaaa no well... I agree with you, SSP, in that IDPA is definately not training. Keep in mind, however, that most of the guys on the forum had some sort of training that SWATG would approve of. For some of the other guys, IDPA might be the only 'training' that they would be exposed to, apart from the SETA stuff.

IMHO, IDPA is not training that would teach you advanced handling skills or techniques, but if the SHTF, IDPA would be a 100% better than nothing.

In short Teez, I cannot advocate a proper course, be it SD, knife, etc. enough. Personally, IDPA got me in touch with the basics again after many years of polite disinterest in the finer points of gun handling.

Gunwise...??? Anybody want to swop a P30 for an extra kidney??? :laugh:
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

With regards to the application, I already submitted a month ago.

I was thinking that I should get the CZ for now, learn how to shoot & gain confidence in carrying a firearm, then go for another gun, as I am pertty nervious about gun grabs & the glock 19 having no manual safety. :-\

Thanks

Teez

Agreed SSP, but I also think its important to be sufficiently skillfull with as many platforms as possible. Although very remote, you might have to use a different gun than yours at some point.

That said, I think you should be MOST skillfull with the platform that you are carrying every day.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast