Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Thoughts on the Norinco Type 56

Because the price on the Norinco Type 56 is currently much too good to pass up, I'm seriously looking into buying one. That is, assuming it is a reliable rifle. If you own one or have handled one for any amount of time, what is your opinion on it? I'd like to use it for one or more sporting disciplines so it's going to see lots of action and therefore reliability and support is important, as well as a reasonable amount of accuracy for those longer shots (300m?). I don't expect it to be in the same league as a Daniel Defense rifle, but do you think it is good enough to get the job done reliably?

And how is the supply of aftermarket accessories and replacement parts?

User

Default Re: Thoughts on the Norinco Type 56

Dude it's an AK. That answers your reliability question.

Buy it. And AK's have a bad rap for bad accuracy and this is not true. Yes there are more accurate rifles. Also know the 7.62x39 is making minor in IPSC.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDijeaux View Post
    Because the price on the Norinco Type 56 is currently much too good to pass up, I'm seriously looking into buying one. That is, assuming it is a reliable rifle. If you own one or have handled one for any amount of time, what is your opinion on it? I'd like to use it for one or more sporting disciplines so it's going to see lots of action and therefore reliability and support is important, as well as a reasonable amount of accuracy for those longer shots (300m?). I don't expect it to be in the same league as a Daniel Defense rifle, but do you think it is good enough to get the job done reliably?

And how is the supply of aftermarket accessories and replacement parts?
    Me thinks you should use the search function. This was discussed a lot when Tactical Tim had his first special.

Hi
    I have a type 56
    With a few mods and a good red dot it shoots really well.
    Fun rifle and reliable as well

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth-Glock19 View Post
    Hi
    I have a type 56
    With a few mods and a good red dot it shoots really well.
    Fun rifle and reliable as well
    Do you mean you happen to have a few mods, or that it needs a few mods and a red dot to make it shoot really well? If the latter, which mods are considered crucial?

User

A red dot will always make a huge difference over irons, especially AK irons with their short sight radius. The Ultimak gastube rail (which S-G19 and I both have) is awesome since its very low profile and you have cowitness/ backup with your irons

User

I also own a Type 56 and love it.

Reliability is a non-issue.

Feed it. Clean it. Enjoy it.

User

Adding crap to an AK doesn't improve its usefulness, mastering it does.

Red dots might improve hit potential on those irritating little 300 meter targets that I have never seen when shooting DMG or 3Gun, but at the average 30 meter shots in a match they offer little improvement.

But red dot sites are better on an AR. Keep in mind the Type 56 already has a lot of drop in the stock, Adding an optic site above the already high site over bore line might help, but it also might not. Once you start adding improvements to an AK you have to start adding other improvements to still keep it usable. For example a straight stock to work with an optic (If you want a reference point for your cheek). The simpler solution is just to use proper technique and have a lot more fun and money for ammo.

I have on various occasions been able to shoot a 6 inch group on an IDPA target with my Type 56 at 100 meters, I have an AR that can do a 1 inch group at the same distance, but the AK is more fun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Adding crap to an AK doesn't improve its usefulness, mastering it does.

Red dots might improve hit potential on those irritating little 300 meter targets that I have never seen when shooting DMG or 3Gun, but at the average 30 meter shots in a match they offer little improvement.

But red dot sites are better on an AR. Keep in mind the Type 56 already has a lot of drop in the stock, Adding an optic site above the already high site over bore line might help, but it also might not. Once you start adding improvements to an AK you have to start adding other improvements to still keep it usable. For example a straight stock to work with an optic (If you want a reference point for your cheek). The simpler solution is just to use proper technique and have a lot more fun and money for ammo.

I have on various occasions been able to shoot a 6 inch group on an IDPA target with my Type 56 at 100 meters, I have an AR that can do a 1 inch group at the same distance, but the AK is more fun.
    Fully agree. It's an AK. No matter what you put on it it will still be an AK. It's a durable piece of kit. But start messing with it and you will loose some of it's appeal and reliability. My Type 56 is stock standard Only has a $13 comp fitted, after 10 shots sighting it in I was satisfied. I could hit 8 pins (5 at 50m and 3 at 100m) in under 30 seconds with open sights. On the same day with the same ammo with an AK form the same batch we could not get any type of grouping to sight it in. at 50m groups was 6''. Shooting at the target at 100m was hit and miss. The difference is that the other AK had been "enhanced" with a few mods including ceracoated. No optics but I don't think that would have changed anything. Mine is staying as is. I think I'll fit a high viz front sight and be done.

This is also one of the guns I'll take to introduce new shooters and as such I want it to look as authentic as possible.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast