Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Punish the many for the sins of the few?

Some gunsiters are familiar with Knapskoot Skietbaan, also the site of the annual Firearms Festival.

Besides the Firearms Festival, Knapskoot is also used by the Waterberg Branch of SA Hunters association for their official shoots.

On days that the range is not booked by big events, the system works like this:
    You book the range via sms or phone call, go to the range, fill the range register, hoist the red flag, drop your range fee in the dropsafe and shoot.
    If there are other shooters, a common occurance on Saturdays, you simply coordinate with them.
    Simple, safe and easy. Everybody have fun.

Now last Saturday, someone decided to spoil it for everybody.
    On the way out to the main road, (on the neighbour's farm), he stops his vehicle, jumps out and hang a beer bottle on the fence, back in the car, three quick shots with his pistol, bottle shattered and drives off like a madman. The spot where this happened is about 400 m from the neighbour's house, and the shooting direction towards the house.
    The above was pieced together from tracks, signs and the shots the neighbour heard.

Neighbour is understandably upset. I phoned all the people whose names are in the register for that day, and they all deny any knowledge of the incident. There is a distinct possibility that someone used the range without filling the register, or paying, as there were quite a number of people and cars on Saturday.

What to do now?
    I am thinking of introducing a system of membership cards for the "Friends of Knapskoot range", where only cardholders and people under their supervision and on their responsibility will be allowed.
    A trail camera will be installed to monitor vehicle registration numbers - that can then be checked against the range register.

And there I was having the opinion that: An armed society is a polite society!

User

Default Re: Punish the many for the sins of the few?

Its our responsibility to get these bad apples sorted out, I will not even think twice to report a person like this to the police and I am sure the SA Hunters will hang him out for all to see. Hope you can get some info that might help to find the person responsible.

User

It might be an isolated incident. Maybe only react if it becomes more regular?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    It might be an isolated incident. Maybe only react if it becomes more regular?
    I am also wary of knee-jerk reactions but in this case someone could be injured or killed if the issue is not addressed immediately.
    I really can't understand people who do things like this.

User

I disagree. People like this give gun owners/hunters a bad name and should be nailed big time. If we wait to see if it becomes a common occurence too much damage will have been done.

The problem is that we as gun owners will collectively be blamed.
    The fact that I allow people onto my property, with the specific intent to fire their fire arms, and they then have to traverse his farm on the way back, does seem to make me complicit in their bad behaviour.

The fact that there is game on the properties is a further risk. Somebody who can shoot bottles on the roadside, will also try to see if his handgun can kill a kudu. If it dies today or a week later would not bother him in the least.

I still maintain that it is a small minority, but they are providing the brush we are all tarnished with.

Hi Willie.

I experience the same on our range, which is also on private land.

Common courtesy as with common sense are not that common.

I would suggest a trail cam posted on the entry/Exit route or at the range itself.

If placed discreetly it should could record registration plates as well as times.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

I know Premier uses a numbered key system. Works well. You never find non-members there, not even visitors, they're not allowed. That's perfect, IMO.

Hi Doc Willie,

sadly idiots like this are full up.

I can't remember the setup, but if there is a single point of entry, maybe an electric gate with a camera to "screen people" who have arranged with you or someone (anyone who has access to the system) to open up using an sms or a missed call? In that case, neighbours also screen and let people through (maybe it would help against farm attacks if there are in that region). One can then easily audit (very important) who let who in and when. Add a few trail cameras and you can determine a timeline of events (add to that when the neighbour hears shots) In a situation like that. It is not foolproof and probably expensive, but as you said. Bottle, kudu or person. These guys don't care.

Camo, hostag3,
    Thanks for the sympathy and the suggestions.
    Yes a trailcam will be part of the plan, and there is a single entrance where it will be installed.

What bugs me is that we are fighting for these guys' rights as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast