Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016

Good day to all the members.
    I received a date for the second 1880 era black powder hunt expedition in 2016 from Willie Barnard today.
    I already informed members of this forum to confirm their participation . We will be catering for twelve hunters from the 1 st of May 2016 following a week of camping and hunting like the old days. This year we really want to act the part by wearing the type of clothes our fore fathers wore .....

Activities includes:
    Making velskoene
    Processing venison /Smoking meat
    Baking bread in a river bed
    Forging knifes/Blacksmithing nails/hooks for use in the camp.
    Tanning leather
    In-spanning oxen , trekking with a scotch cart
    Casting bullets on a fire
    Preparing food on an open camp fire
    Hold discussions on important issues regarding historical facts / Boer history.

Since we have a limit of twelve participants anyone is welcome to contact me in this regard to see if we can accommodate persons who really is interested to participate in this hunt.

godendaal@hotmail.com

Regards

Gert Odendaal

User

Default Re: The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016

Update : I am currently focusing on the activities that will have to be completed during the 1800 era hunt. These are the activities we will participate in:

1) Making "velskoene /vellies" -MC Heunis
    2) Making Boerseep -Gert Odendaal
    3) Baking bread/rusks -Johan Greyling
    4) Blacksmith project (forging nails) -Herman Nel/Jaap
    5) Processing venison - Willie Barnard( helpers- Gert , Herman, Max)
    6) Making "rieme" -Max /helpers)
    7) Riem stringing veldstoel - JP
    8) Casting lead bullets to hunt with - ( activity still available )

I really would like some input from members regarding activities on such a hunt .....I do think there is more taking place around a hunt than just hunting...this is what we want to achieve with this types of re-enactment hunting .....

User

Default Re: The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016

Got to have mampoer tasting Gert :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Got to have mampoer tasting Gert :-)
    Good day to you, Peter

It really is going to be difficult to find the time for drinking...I think moer coffee over the fire in a coffee kettle is going to be difficult to beat ...remember you have to live off the veld, maroela season is only from November to December...It reminds me to see where we can obtain green coffee beans to roast... it is something not easy to get hold of..Herman is roasting the coffee beans in the camp..anyone know where we can get green coffee beans to roast? Please be so kind as to provide a link or pm me a contact number ....

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Hi Gert. Try TACQM here on the forum for green coffee beans.

They deliver but unfortunately not via horse and cart :)
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 08-10-2015 at 23:20.

User

Thank you Cordite Crazy, I will contact the member. Much appreciated...

User

Good day members
    Regarding the second 1800 era black powder participant list , we are twelve participants and will close the invitation to participation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Good day to you, Peter

It really is going to be difficult to find the time for drinking...I think moer coffee over the fire in a coffee kettle is going to be difficult to beat ...remember you have to live off the veld, maroela season is only from November to December...It reminds me to see where we can obtain green coffee beans to roast... it is something not easy to get hold of..Herman is roasting the coffee beans in the camp..anyone know where we can get green coffee beans to roast? Please be so kind as to provide a link or pm me a contact number ....
    Gert, don't worry about the green coffee beans.
    One of our new members volunteered to bring real "witgatkoffie" produced in our very own Ellisras area.

The reason we didn't make "witgatkoffie" last time, is that the witgatbome (Shepherd's tree / Boscia albitrunca) are few and far between on Weltevreden.
    The known trees are also on rocky ground, making the digging of the roots a major undertaking.

This problem has now been solved by our new member.

Willie barnard

User

That is good news Willie, as plan B I think I will bring nice strong Moer koffie as well...I read that the old Boer hunters drank tea as well, I wonder if we should take a set of Royal Albert as well just to keep up with tradition...it will be a fine gathering of tea drinking 1881 era hunters with those delicate tea cups in their hands....The English participants will really feel at home ...certainly Andrew Leigh will enjoy our tea drinking exercise...???

User

Update: Fellow hunters/participants of the 1880 era hunt...the dates have been set :

The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016 will commence from the 1 st of May to the 8 th of May 2016.

I will upload/send to you the activity program shortly.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast