Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Upgrade the airrifle or buy a .22L

I bought a Gamo Whisper fusion with a RedFox scope to use to practice my rifle shooting for hunting. It was a lot of school fees in that the scope was crap and shifted all over the place with the recoil of the gun (15cm vertical drift from 25m). The shop replaced the scope, but it had the same problem. So I ditched the scope and used the open sights, but the rifle is still a nightmare to shoot. I have never shot better than a 10 shot grouping of 40mm at 25m, and then you really have to concentrate and make sure you hold/rest the rifle in exactly the same way, as there is a lot of movement when the spring discharges and is effected by the position of your hands on the rifle. So here is my dilemma... my Gamo springer in its current state does not give much satisfaction, so I can do one of several things:

1. Continue tearing out my hair and use the money for a nice hunt.

2. Do a MZE conversion, gas ram, new trigger, and new scope.

3. Sell the Gamo and buy something that has already been MZE tweaked and adjusted.

4. Sell the Gamo and buy a PCP second hand and hope it is OK.

5. Sell the Gamo and buy a second hand .22L

My uses for the rifle are to practice rifle shooting, and to introduce my girls to shooting (age 6, 8 and 43).

What would you do? (budget R4-R6K)

User

Default Re: Upgrade the airrifle or buy a .22L

Have a Gamo also. Had scope move off the back of the gun. Planning on using some loctight to prevent movement. I have a gas piston version and it seems fine for what I want to do. My 5yo moved to the .22lr eagerly so I keep it for the baby when he wants to start. Try different weight pallets as some like heavy others light...

I can keep it in 25mm at 25m.

If you can shoot the .22 where you are currently shooting the air rifle then go for the .22 as it would be no more effort then what you are currently doing. If not then your benefit is having easier access to the air rifle shooting.

User

New 22LR's is selling for R3000 New. So buy rifle above pellet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    I would agree with this. You can get a good 22lr or a crap air rifle for that price.

User

Get a replacement trigger from Paris at Nicholas Yale. It will make a big difference in performance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I bought a Gamo Whisper fusion with a RedFox scope to use to practice my rifle shooting for hunting. It was a lot of school fees in that the scope was crap and shifted all over the place with the recoil of the gun (15cm vertical drift from 25m). The shop replaced the scope, but it had the same problem. So I ditched the scope and used the open sights, but the rifle is still a nightmare to shoot. I have never shot better than a 10 shot grouping of 40mm at 25m, and then you really have to concentrate and make sure you hold/rest the rifle in exactly the same way, as there is a lot of movement when the spring discharges and is effected by the position of your hands on the rifle. So here is my dilemma... my Gamo springer in its current state does not give much satisfaction, so I can do one of several things:

1. Continue tearing out my hair and use the money for a nice hunt.

2. Do a MZE conversion, gas ram, new trigger, and new scope.

3. Sell the Gamo and buy something that has already been MZE tweaked and adjusted.

4. Sell the Gamo and buy a PCP second hand and hope it is OK.

5. Sell the Gamo and buy a second hand .22L

My uses for the rifle are to practice rifle shooting, and to introduce my girls to shooting (age 6, 8 and 43).

What would you do? (budget R4-R6K)
    From my limited knowledge on air rifles, this gun tries to hard to push the pellet too fast, ie +1000 fps. Ask MZE if they can downgrade the spring for you to get something like +- 800 fps, will make a worlds difference in accuracy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Fan View Post
    From my limited knowledge on air rifles, this gun tries to hard to push the pellet too fast, ie +1000 fps. Ask MZE if they can downgrade the spring for you to get something like +- 800 fps, will make a worlds difference in accuracy.
    The Whisper fusion has a Gamo gas ram AFAIK. Paris is the air gun Smith at Nicholas Yale, if the OP wants to send his rifle to NY, he should be able to set it up for better accuracy. Other option is MZE conversion, but will probably work out more expensive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    New....3000....where? what?

I had a gamo big cat 1250....i spoke to MZE, he said he could fix it so it was awesome, but for slightly more i could have gotten his "tuned" walther.

When you start with air guns you want fast.....so 1000/1250 fps looks awesome.....but .177 pellets are happier between 700 and 800 fps.

I still think a pellet gun has a big place in the shooting arena.

If you on a farm, your kid can spend the whole day on R150 worth of pellets.....R150 worth of .22 lasts like 30mins.

.22 is full supervision....pellet gun, not so much......

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    The Whisper fusion has a Gamo gas ram AFAIK. ....
    Just looked it up, you are correct.

But still shooting too fast, pellets are not designed for that speed and looses accuracy / tumbles, +- 800 fps is good

User

and you can leave you air rifle behind the back seat!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast