View Poll Results: Would you be willing to have to pay R500 once p.a.?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

159 83.68%
  • No (please tell us why)

8 4.21%
  • Maybe (please tell us why)

23 12.11%
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: YOUR OWN NRA

Guys, please use the voting buttons if you haven't done so.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

All for it.

Six months ago I might have doubted the initiative, thinking that there are so many role players that would be taking care of what needs to be taken care of. But I know better now. The individual organizations is minded with the administration of their own affairs and members.

We are in injury time and we need a drop goal to win, for we are behind. It can be done. But in no other way for now or in the long term, that what is suggested here.

Watching the results here closely.

If there is not a massive community wide support for this, then I guess a few of us will have to withdraw from what we are doing, then que sera sera.

Speaking more for others than for myself (and there are many others out there who have had MUCH more exposure thereto than I have had), I am doing what I am doing for a while still, until a professional outfit ("SANRA") can take over. If there is no such thing that is going to happen, then we might as well stop doing it right now, enjoy a cold beer, watch some rugby, or actually for a chance take a trip to the range while we still can.

I'll support this initiative. If we remain divided each of us will feel the pinch.

And guys, we want honest views. If you say "no" or "maybe", that's fine too. We really need to get a picture of how people really feel about things. Nobody's going to tear a strip off you here for expressing a different view. Not as long as I run this thread anyway. Let's keep it all civil and hear all views.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

I'm unequivocally in.

I do however see an potential issue with the levies being coordinated via individual associations. If they can't agree on what constitutes dedicated status now, how are they going to agree that you've already paid your annual fees through a different association? This refers specifically to members, such as myself, that are members of multiple organisations simultaneously. And much as I would pay R1500 or more pa if my budget allowed, that's just not viable. Perhaps some sort of annual membership certificate issued upon payment? Direct payment should also be an option, given the former suggestion.

The centralised dedicated activity database proposed by many, and mentioned again by Khumba above, is going to be critically important in the not-too-distant future.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

The idea would be that you would take out your membership with the national organisation and pay once per year. This would ideally all happen online using your name and ID number. The system will then issue you with your annual national membership certificate. You take that and give it to your various associations when you renew with them. You can reprint it as many times as you want. That way you pay only once and there's no additional admin for your association/s other than to ask for a copy of your national membership certificate. Simple. Once we have that up and going and have collected enough money to start with, we can then start getting the whole picture running and adding member's services, other bells and whistles etc. But we first need to collect enough cash to get up and going. Right now its a question of figuring out what level of support there is amongst the rank and file. Some association excos will definitely be resistant to the idea. Which is why, as MTSS says, if there's not enough rank and file support we might as well all save ourselves the inordinate amount of effort this is going to take to get going. We're hoping this poll will attract enough votes and comments to form some sort of a picture as to how people feel about it. Money's the bottom line because without it the big picture won't work/happen.

The system will also enable the building of the central database. We'll have to get the right tech folk to do the job right.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 18-10-2015 at 14:05.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

If anybody at any time wants to change their vote, please let us know.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I'd be willing to pay it with a smile.... my deliberative side has to ask "how" though, without creating a shedload of admin work for "someone".

Ideally the shooting organisations can collect from their own members, but that creates a new problem: I have dedicated status at 3 different organisations, and while R500/y is fine, R1500 isn't. This means it'll have to be a third party organisation (which means additional costs in "duplicating" an administrative function that already exists at each organisation).

Then the question exists of "what happens if you don't pay?" Does it mean an automatic voiding of dedicated status? This becomes a greater problem, should an organisation just prove not to be effective. A few years ago SAGA lost their efficacy, and my membership (and a few others on this site) along with it. In a worst-case scenario, something similar could happen, but with the complication that "members" cannot decide to opt-out, for fear of losing their dedicated statuses. This will only be a problem if an organisation cannot be held accountable for their (in)actions. What will need to be clear is WHO will have the mandate to hold such an organisation accountable.

IMHO SAGA or GOSA must become this organisation, and collect monies via yearly (yes, potentially compulsory) subscription. SAGA (today) still suffers from its (in the public eye) legacy of inaction, which has done its image under the general firearm owner serious harm. GOSA has the track record but (today) does not have a formalised membership structure, thus cannot levy formal subscriptions.

My suggestion is to formalise the GOSA membership structure, run it according to accepted corporate governance principles, get as many of the current hunting/sport shooting organisations to affiliate with GOSA and charge a "GOSA levy" on top of the yearly membership subscriptions. It could well.(initially) be rolled out that such a levy only gets charged of dedicated members. When I then renew my NSA membership, I pay the levy, and when I renew SAHGCA, I can provide proof that I've already paid the levy, and thus get exemption from paying it again through them. In this model GOSA becomes accountable to the affiliated organisations, which in turn are accountable to their members.

I'm sure the whole problem is even more complex than this. The challenge is that we'll only get one chance to do it right...

:- P

User

Just as a note: my post above was written whilst QS-WP and WZ wrote their last 3 ones... thus it may ask some of the same questions ;-)

:- P

See post #26 on the admin. It can be done. When you apply online the system gives you a unique order number. Same as when you buy online. No different.

As to SAGA and GOSA, in all probability there's too much history to get everyone to cluster under one or the other and we'll probably have to start from the beginning again. BUT that's all up for discussion in due course.

Edit: Saw post #29 after writing this. Will leave it here anyway.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 18-10-2015 at 14:13.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast