Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    User

Thanks Big T, very informative article.

I am however in a dilema. I own a cz 75 which I used to carry religiously, but of late due to a hernia I am finding it difficult to carry because of the weight of the gun. I need to purchase another gun for everyday carry and ideally i would like another 9mmp but due to our gun laws I don't think that i will get a license for the same calliber. I was thinking of going for a 38 spl snubnose but the fact that it only takes 5 or 6 rounds puts me of.

What advice can you give me

User

Quote Originally Posted by dees View Post
    Thanks Big T, very informative article.

I am however in a dilema. I own a cz 75 which I used to carry religiously, but of late due to a hernia I am finding it difficult to carry because of the weight of the gun. I need to purchase another gun for everyday carry and ideally i would like another 9mmp but due to our gun laws I don't think that i will get a license for the same calliber. I was thinking of going for a 38 spl snubnose but the fact that it only takes 5 or 6 rounds puts me of.

What advice can you give me
    Not getting a license due to having two handguns of the same caliber is a misnomer.
    There is no reason why you will not get another handgun in 9x19 provided you license it properly. Section 15 would be the way to go, (Occasional sporting & hunting use).
    Join SADPA, do your NSO and shoot a few comps and your motivation is sorted.

Might want to look at a S&W M&P 9C if you want something small and not too heavy. Great little pistol.

User

I have used CZ75 when working in the security agancies and I'm now owning one for self defence , I would also want to say it's one of the best and great pistol if you will do lots of shooting, it has long service life , though some poeple don't like the fact that you only engage the saftey catch when the hammer is upand the fact that is heavy, overall CZ75 is a great handgun...considering the fact that you only allowed 1 handgun for selfdefence .. CZ75 is the way to go.

User

Dees thanks for the kind words.

My default recommendation when asked about a SD pistol is a Glock 19 it's light, compact reliable , lots of beans and big enough to shoot properly.

I would suggest sticking with 9x19 as your carry caliber. I'm not the biggest fan of .40 and while I like .45 most are a little lacking in capacity.

User

BTW I do not feel that any revolver is an optimal choice for carry considering the likely threats in SA.

User

Thanks everybody

User

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the great artical. Now i am looking to get myself self defense firearm, i have been looking at the G23 or 27 can anyone give me some feed back.

Thanks Clayton

Both excellent options, I have the 23. There are problems with the 23 that are well known, but these are mostly ammo related. If you use good quality (ie you loaded them yourself and youre not a mugg) or quality factory ammo, this gun will definitely do the job. I have put a few rounds (50 to be precise) through a 27 and it was a pleasure to shoot, but some dont like the recoil of the .40, especially in the small 27. To me it was never an issue. My advice, for what its worth, and it aint much relative to the more experienced shooters on this site, is to try both at a range near you but also try the 19 out in 9x19 and the 26 for comparison. Also if possible try out other designs such as the m&P or the Sig.

User

The 27 can do anything the 23 can but not vice versa.

I have carried the 27 as a backup on occasion in an ankle holster.

the difference is capacity. The 23 has the advantage in capacity but the 27 is slightly more concealable. For me, the difference in concealbility is small, so in my mind the capacity wins out.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast