Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default ACCREDITATION PROCEDURE

Hi All.

Could someone please point me in the right direction...? My shooting range has developed from what was to be a hobby into a thriving small business. I am now in the process in having it accredited with the NRCS & SAPS. However, I would like to offer competency training at my range as well & therefore will have to do the necessary courses an become "accredited " myself.

Where would I go / apply to get the ball rolling and get myself accredited so as to be able to issue competency certificates? Is there a "one-stop-shop" that can handle the whole process, or would I have to do a course with someone, then apply to another to have the course evaluated/recognised etc, etc.

Help please!

Ryan Winter
    JW Shooting Range
    White River

Default Re: ACCREDITATION PROCEDURE

Good luck, and thank you for spreading the gospel!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    Hi All.

Could someone please point me in the right direction...? My shooting range has developed from what was to be a hobby into a thriving small business. I am now in the process in having it accredited with the NRCS & SAPS. However, I would like to offer competency training at my range as well & therefore will have to do the necessary courses an become "accredited " myself.

Where would I go / apply to get the ball rolling and get myself accredited so as to be able to issue competency certificates? Is there a "one-stop-shop" that can handle the whole process, or would I have to do a course with someone, then apply to another to have the course evaluated/recognised etc, etc.

Help please!

Ryan Winter
    JW Shooting Range
    White River
    Hi Ryan,

I speak under correction but to the best of my knowledge, you would have to register as a training academy/service provider with PFTC (www.pftc.co.za +27116648655) and receive accreditation from them as well as SAPS (this is a separate process to receiving SAPS accreditation for the shooting range).

My suggestion would be to contact PFTC first and they will be able to supply you will all the necessary steps/requirements that you will need to fulfill (it's quite extensive) in order to be able to legally offer basic proficiency unit standards to the public.

I hope this proves helpful.

Goodluck!

There are a few options available to you but it basically boils down to you doing training with any of the bodies who are recognized with PFTC (there are a few), you would need to train with one of these bodies to instructor level completing all the paperwork along the way (so they can prove you jumped through all the hoops), once you have completed all the unit standards and practicals you will have your instructor certificate. then you need to train the guys using the training provider's material/ handbooks and you should be good to go.

User

My suggestion would again be to speak to Ross (maybe a PM), find out everything you need and do the training you need through him.

On the instructors side in order to be able to accredit others:

For ITA, It's a couple of steps to get there.
    - ITA Range Officer Competency (not sure if this is a requirement, or part of the Instructors Course)
    - ITA Business Competency
    - ITA Instructors Competency

You will need to qualify as an Intermediate Instructor (see book for practical scores required) in order to grade others... it's not that easy.
    I think I saw an Instructors Course advertised on here (GS) a couple of weeks ago, otherwise there is one at FBSSC (in Cape Town, Speak to Keith Biermann) shortly.
    It's a 5 day course, so a week in the Cape might be fun.

Good luck... it's a good course.

User

Yes, there is a course next week....
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...735#post960735

If you dont have the Range officer or Business comps, you can arrange them at the same time.....just a lot more work and shooting.

Hi there Ryan.
    There is alot more to it then courses and most of what the guys have written here is correct but is maybe half of what is needed.
    You will need to do the instructor course in order to teach the unit standards you want to present, and complete a grading shoot as well that will give your grading with pftc. This doesnt allow one to open a training centre/academy but just enables you to instruct under a service provider linked and regulated with PFTC. You will also need to have assessors and moderators that need to regulate the process and presenting of the unit standards. Asessors need a minimun experience as well before being registered successfully at a seta... think its 2 years.
    Not only this but you need MOU's with training materials and then tax clearances and then there is verifications etc. The list can be very long and accreditation with the SAPS is also needed, so you can imagine...
    PFTC can offer you great advice and they are really a breath of fresh air and if all is in place from ones side their service is great and efficient.
    I have only mentioned a number of things in the process but there is more, and the process is very long and tedious from the start so before spending loads of money on courses etc, be sure to find out all info.
    The process to offer basic proficiency (many call it competency but its actually proficiency) courses is the same as the higher unit standards like business purpose the intermediate courses. Those unit standards are just extra ones that you would be required to conplete in order to present.

There is a very big difference between instructing and being an instructor or assessors at a training provider registered with the governing authority, compared to opening a training centre. The process differs alot more and is more complex...

I hope this helps a bit...

User

200% @ Gibbsgogo.....that's why doing the course with Keith would help a lot, he has jumped through all the hoops and will help with lots of info

Also chat with Andre @ ITA

Andre is a little out of action at the moment. Best to speak to Russel +27 (83) 2921436. He can assist you with everything, make your life helluva easy! The instructors course at the end of this month is fully booked. But, there might be a second one early December - Russel will confirm. Congrats and good luck! Love it when a hobby evolves!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast