Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Baby Browning safe queen restore

Think I will try the paraffin and then maybe use a clamp to get a good grip with some felt to protect the slide and give it a few light bashes with a rubber hammer or mallet or something. Hope that might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 View Post
    Brake fluid may work too.
    Brake fluid is a great paint stripper. I have no idea what it will do to the gun!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy View Post
    Have tried numerous methods and scoured the youtubes. That baby is stuck for good. I know for a fact that it has not been fired for at least 30 - 35 years.
    Do you like fishing?

These guns are quite cheap, common and not that practical. There are much better alternatives, so perhaps it's not worth restoring.

Banned

Get it to a gunsmith and let him handle it.

If that is not possible, give this a thought: first check with a small mirror that the barrel is clean from debris so that the bullet can get out in case of an accidental discharge. (I would even rig a piece of water pipe or something similar in front of the barrel to guide the projectile into a bullet catcher of some kind). Clamp the handle part of the gun at a 90 degree angle between two pine blocks in a vice. I specifically say pine because it is soft and will yield to prevent damage to the gun. Then, while standing out of the way, put a piece of harder wood to the slide (port or front) of the pistol and tap it very lightly with a hammer - just to see whether it moves ever so slightly. If the gun has been lying in paraffin or solvent for a week or two, the slide should move ever so slightly backwards. If that happens, tap it back and forth with liberal oiling to work it loose. I would not consider using a brass punch because gun metal is soft and might bend, bulge or break. Please keep us updated.

First choice should still be a gun smith - even if you can only discuss it thoroughly with him. My own advice above I would only follow in the direst of straights. This one case where scrapping the firearm might be a good solution.

User

Another potentially 'rough' idea is to use Sunlight and tartaric acid with boiling water.
    The mixture is
    1x packet tartaric acid
    2x tablespoon Sunlight
    1 liter boiling water

Just be aware this stuff could remove more than you want. I leave whatever needs to be clean in the water for a few hours.

That will remove the blueing. Citric and tartaric acid is good for cleaning your brass cases.
    And is used in the sonic cleaner mixes you buy. However the gun formulas for cleaning does not contain these.

User

The Baby FN is a straight blowback pistol.The barrel is locked to the frame , tapping the front of the piece will achieve nothing. Take a thin dowel and place it in the barrel and measure the travel, it should be the length of the barrel. If it is shorter it means there is a round in the chamber. Measure it and report back and we will go to the next step.

Rick, we already know that there's a round in the chamber. Next step for GlockGuy please.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Banned

Rick, I meant him to tap the slide, not the barrel. Thanks for helping out - this is really interesting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast