Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Baby Browning safe queen restore

Your cleaning of that gun. I now, because I am never sure after hrs of battling which thing actually worked use them all. Some with great care. I soak in fresh coke every few hrs -safe all the way.
    Then vinegar and baking soda - safe in all ways. Then ATF oil - also safe in all ways, but seems to work better once things are loosening up. I am always doing something in this regard albeit a reel old shot gun or a wind up old toy car. My latest is old cast iron cook ware.Oven cleaner is great but destructive - use extreme caution, eats aluminium and anodizing and attacks old springs.I once in desperation as a last resort for a friend managed to get a piston and rings out of a old motor bike barrel (it was a irreplaceable single cylinder 2 stroke that stood from the 60ties) the thing that eventually worked was boiling it in vinegar for hrs and adding baking soda occasionally. Do not know how much is luck and how much is science, but I win in end - sometimes.

Thanks treeman will see how things go and will try various methods. Hopefully by the time I can get her on to my name she will be shiny and in full working condition. Pics to follow. She is a bit rusty, but I think I will be able to save her. Inner working does not seem to damaged. the slide is the biggest issue and everything is so tiny it is difficult to get in all the nooks and crannies. Downloaded some user manuals to see all the inner working. Going to buy a caliber specific cleaning kit and some bronze brushes (apparently Makro has some you can attach to a drill) and I need a very small punch tool.

User

Glad you got somewhere with it!

What was it that ultimately seized the gun up like that, the slide/frame that was rusted together?

The chambered round had some rust around it and I think that was what caused it. I will be checking during the week how the Trisol is doing, but I think I am going to need some stronger chemical intervention. Looking at something like this "Evapo-Rust". Will also get a proper cleaning kit for the said caliber, my DIY attempts were only slightly successful. I want a small nylon brush that I can attach to a drill to clean the barrel and inside of the slide.

Banned

What are you actually trying to clean - the rust or old grease or rust marks. The rust mark are not going with out mechanical action. The grease and some of the rust can be removed with boiling white viager or lemon juice - or just soaked over night. Borax and baking powder help. When removing from fluid and still wet rub the powder on into a paste and stand further. mashing - blending a potato into pulp with Borax or B/Powder into past and smearing also seems to work. All these things are soft enough to use with out fears of damage to metal. When you start using shop bought stuff there is always a risk that comes with the "speed of effectiveness"

My next step is getting it in some de-greaser and after that some elbow grease will be applied with some scourers and brushes as soon as I get my hands on the right types. I have an old chemistry kit with a nylon brush used to clean test tubes that I will try to get down the barrel and in the slide with some rust removing products. I will then start the soaking in rust removing liquids.

Made some progress last night. Ran out of time so will repeat the process again. Degreased and soaked in some rust remover. Looking much better already. I have sprayed her with WD40 to rest in until I can get my hands on her again. Slide is moving and she seems functional. Now the quest to find some gun blue. Click the link for pics on the progress.

http://s629.photobucket.com/user/rua...ibrary/Process

Anyone knows who has stock of gun blue in the PTA area?

User

Cold blue just isn't going to cut it.Get a professional hot blue done. Ask around and see if you can find someone using the Nital S process,

I was thinking of getting it done professionally or maybe even cerakoted, but it is still licensed to my mother. Until I can get it licenced on my name I must just take good care of her every time I get a chance. That being said, If I get a permit to store the firearm, will I be able to take it in for cerakoting?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast