Default Who is a S&W Revolver Collector?

Hi Guys

I need Some Help Regarding a S&W Revolver that i can get, it is a Very old one. I want to know if it is worth buying and the History about this gun.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Who is a S&W Revolver Collector?

Roger Stockbridge is a good resource. He has an extensive collection. Contact MRS Techniques

User

Start here. You will find people are very helpfull on the forum, just follow the rules :)

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/foru...-Introductions

Thumbs down Re: Who is a S&W Revolver Collector?

Hi Jaryd,

First post an intro in the appropriate section. Then provide us with a clear description of the gun. That would be its model type which is usually stamped in the crane recess of the frame, and can be seen when the cylinder is opened. The serial number is usually in that location too, as well as the bottom of the grip frame. That will establish date of manufacture.

But be aware that age is not necessarily a guide to value, whether value means monetary worth or utility. A Model 10 M&P made in 1950 is as good as one made in 2000 provided condition is equal. Some S&W revolvers have recently acquired collector status after having languished for decades unwanted. One such is the Model 1917 military contract model in 45ACP. A good one sells for a much as $2000 in the US as far as I know. There are quite a lot of the Victory Model kicking around SA. Those were made for the British in WW2. It is a plain jane gun, but a sound one if in good condition. It is basically a Model 10 M&P with a rougher military contract finish, but well made. They sell for less than R1000.

A desirable revolver, in my humble opinion, is the S&W Model 14 K38 Target Masterpiece. It is a Model 10 with six inch barrel and target sights. It has a reputation for fine accuracy and is a good choice for anyone who wants an accurate gun for range use. My local dealer recently sold a mint example for R2500. A good one sells for as much as $900 in the US. The Model 15 Combat Masterpiece is a four inch barrel version of the same gun. I bought one from the same dealer last year for R1250. A mint example sells for $400 in the US.

It all depends on what you intend to use it for. A bargain isn't a bargain if you have no practical use for it. And these days you can't afford to waste a licence on a piece you have no practical use for.

As a final point, I have enough gunsmithing experience to fix up a gun that needs fixing. Not everyone can do that, but a lot can be done by anyone with good handyman skills and a good dose of care. It is not difficult to replace screws, springs and even triggers and hammers armed with Jerry Kuhnhausenn's S&W Manual. So don't refuse a desirable gun at the right price just because it might need some easy fixing. Indeed, it can be an opportunity.

User

Yarrrr as Dick sez. I love the Victory S&Ws but I don't have a licence slot for one.

38 S&W is a rediculous round these days but lekker to shoot and accurate. (If the gun in question is 38 S&W that is).

If it wern't for the FCA I'd have like ten Victory S&Ws.