Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Lost my baby. Now what?

Good evening everyone. I had a break in 2 weeks back and they got into my safe. Question is how long do I have to wait before getting new firearm? Anyone had case of negligence against them and how long did it take to get thrown out?

User

Default Re: Lost my baby. Now what?

That's terrible to hear.. This is 1 of my biggest fears. All the best.

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk

Banned

My brother was robbed of a firearm and the case against him was thrown out.

Get a new firearm asap - there is nothing negligent about a thief breaking open a safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    My brother was robbed of a firearm and the case against him was thrown out.

Get a new firearm asap - there is nothing negligent about a thief breaking open a safe.
    Thank you for your reply. Going to purchase one soon. Can't stay where I do without one.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy zn View Post
    Can't stay where I do without one.
    In The World???
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

If you don't mind me asking.. Was it a small pistol safe or a large one? Did they have grinder with them or something?

Banned

The full story with details from how it was mounted to how they got weapon, time of day etc etc - Everything !

This valuable information which may just help someone else.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy zn View Post
    Good evening everyone. I had a break in 2 weeks back and they got into my safe. Question is how long do I have to wait before getting new firearm? Anyone had case of negligence against them and how long did it take to get thrown out?
    If your safe was secured properly, bolted down & of correct type etc, and you can prove it, then you should not be found negligent.
    You are merely a victim of a crime & should not have a problem applying for a new firearm license.

You need to check case number with SAPS detectives at your police station, to see if the investigating officer listed the firearm theft as negligence or not.

VERY important to check with DFO if the firearm is actually listed as stolen on the system.
    This does not always happen & MUST be checked. The DFO can't make this change on system, it has to be done at a higher level.
    If not listed as stolen, and the firearm is found after being used in a crime, guess who's door they will come knocking on.
    Keep your case number & get a copy of the statement you made.

In your next firearm application you will be asked to declare if you have ever had a firearm stolen, and if so were you found negligent in allowing this to happen.
    If negligence was found, I think it' 5 years before you can think about applying for a new firearm license. but I might stand to be corrected on that one.

Sorry for your loss mate. This issue is getting me thinking that i should have two safes, and separate my S13 and s15 handguns just in case a robbery occurs and if they only get to the one safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bluefronted View Post
    Sorry for your loss mate. This issue is getting me thinking that i should have two safes, and separate my S13 and s15 handguns just in case a robbery occurs and if they only get to the one safe.
    Bummer. Hope it all turns out as ok as possible. I have a small handgun safe in the 'standard' location, i.e. in the cupboard in my bedroom. It contains a pistol, a box of ammo, a couple of grand in ZAR and a couple of hundred in USD. The bigger long gun ammo and reloading supply safes are in less obvious locations. When I was doing a lot of travelling the hope was that the occupants of the house could point the boewe at this safe and that it would have enough in it to satisfy their professional curiosity. The aim being to let them get what they wanted and get out as quickly as possible thereby minimising the risk of harm to my family. have no idea if it would actually work.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast