User

Default DIY job on focussing holosight dot

I wasn't overly impressed with the Vector holosight that I recently bought. It seemed like the dot was more a comet, with a tail going to the top left corner. I thought it might have had a smudge on the laser, so I cleaned it with an earbud and spiritus. Next moment a thin black film came off the laser and if I peeped through the sight the entire world looked like a very red Christmas tree.

Hours and hours of Googling and watching Youtube videos on anything from holosights, red dots to laser focussing lenses I had decided to perform the operation. For the sake of my ego we will skip through all the failed attempts and jump right to the thing that worked.

A small square of black insulation tape with a needle prick hole stuck over the laser and maneuvered carefully until the hole and the laser aligned. Then I used one of my children's crayons to secure the tape with carefully placed molten wax. This also blocked out light seeping from the side of the laser and reflecting on the holosight lens.

I must say it is a complete pain in the behind to assemble the module. Those tiny little screws are not meant to be handled by a mans hands.

All in all I am very pleased. The dot is much better focused now than with the factory fitted film.

User

Default Re: DIY job on focussing holosight dot

how much this optic cost you, if I may ask. hehe

User

What will happen when the wax melts?

User

What will the child do without the full range of crayons?

User

I have a buddy that imports all sorts of gun accessories, I paid R1000 for it.

Hopefully the wax won't melt (I really don't feel like opening the thing again).

Ha ha, I only used a few drops off the crayon

If it does not hold. Try glue gun next time.
    Or epoxy glue.