User

Default .308 Hornady A-Max 155gr Terminal performance.

Quoted from a post by Doc Roberts:

"The .308 Hornady TAP loads using polymer tip AMAX bullets offer consistently superior terminal performance compared to standard SMK bullets, although the SMK's are generally a bit more accurate. Are LE snipers willing to trade a slight bit of accuracy to eliminate SMK variability & gain consistently improved terminal effects?

The 155 gr AMAX consistently offers nearly perfect terminal performance characteristics--ideal penetration, good fragmentation, and perfectly placed large temporary cavity. All of the .308 AMAX bullets we are aware of fired in OIS incidents to date have remained in the suspects' torsos; damage on autopsy has been quite impressive and exactly as predicted based on lab analysis. The 110 gr AMAX has a shallower penetration depth with a rounded temporary stretch cavity, while the 168 gr and 178 gr AMAX have deeper penetration than the 155 AMAX, with a more oval, narrower temporary stretch cavity."

I had the opportunity to test my .308 155gr Hornady A-Max load performance this weekend. No No No it was not a bg !!

I shot 2 problem maker Reed Cormorants (they were interfering with fish stocking in a farm dam). Both displayed the same wounds with a chest shot. I was surprised at the performance of the A-Max on these birds - both had a chest cavity blow out of roughly the circumference of a tennis ball.

One was shot at 115meters and the other at 175 meters.

I must say the Leupold MKIV @ 20x makes for confident shots on small targets.

Default Re: .308 Hornady A-Max 155gr Terminal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    Quoted from a post by Doc Roberts:

"The .308 Hornady TAP loads using polymer tip AMAX bullets offer consistently superior terminal performance compared to standard SMK bullets, although the SMK's are generally a bit more accurate. Are LE snipers willing to trade a slight bit of accuracy to eliminate SMK variability & gain consistently improved terminal effects?

The 155 gr AMAX consistently offers nearly perfect terminal performance characteristics--ideal penetration, good fragmentation, and perfectly placed large temporary cavity. All of the .308 AMAX bullets we are aware of fired in OIS incidents to date have remained in the suspects' torsos; damage on autopsy has been quite impressive and exactly as predicted based on lab analysis. The 110 gr AMAX has a shallower penetration depth with a rounded temporary stretch cavity, while the 168 gr and 178 gr AMAX have deeper penetration than the 155 AMAX, with a more oval, narrower temporary stretch cavity."

I had the opportunity to test my .308 155gr Hornady A-Max load performance this weekend. No No No it was not a bg !!

I shot 2 problem maker Reed Cormorants (they were interfering with fish stocking in a farm dam). Both displayed the same wounds with a chest shot. I was surprised at the performance of the A-Max on these birds - both had a chest cavity blow out of roughly the circumference of a tennis ball.

One was shot at 115meters and the other at 175 meters.

I must say the Leupold MKIV @ 20x makes for confident shots on small targets.

Geez Khumba doesnt dick around when he applies the hunting adage "use enough gun" does he?

What do you use for spring buck? .338LM?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

308 were stopping power begins.

User

Springbuck - the same gun with Hornady 165gr Interbonds. hpy180

one game one can never use enough gun but I did not want to try a 9,3 or 458Lott on the scavenging cormorant at 175 meters. fighting0035 hpy194

Hehehe

Cant resist flogging my products

GS Custom 130 g HV @ 3,200 out of standard 24" barrel

lv29
    TEASINgG the 223 brigade - 40 grain bullet @ 3,850 out of standard 24" barrel +- 3,600 out of LM 4
    Penetrates 6mm armoured stell up to 100m

Makes offer to Kumba - we swop 45 ACP parts for bullets

hpy71