Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Baboon bandit.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Baboon bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Agreed

Luckily T-Stone did not try to justify shooting it, he just shot it, on their companies territory, saving them another R50k.
    LOL.

User

Agreed

Luckily T-Stone did not try to justify shooting it, he just shot it, on their companies territory, saving them another R50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    I'm not sure anything would justify shooting a baboon in its own territory. It seems quite drastic if no other measures were tried.
    I was about to answer you, but Messor beat me to it.

User

definitely better than putting a bullet into one while its going mad inside a cage. I would have gone for an educated flyer as well, but my heart is tainted after watching them tear into the lambs one too many times...so I say "good job"

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    definitely better than putting a bullet into one while its going mad inside a cage. I would have gone for an educated flyer as well, but my heart is tainted after watching them tear into the lambs one too many times...so I say "good job"
    Unless you have first hand experience, it is hard to believe just how destructive, and vicious, baboons can be. They can also be very cute and entertaining but it is better if they retain a fear of man.

User

Agreed

Exactly!

Btw, I feel a 338 LM is just about the perfect calibre for baboons at long range. A 300 or 7mm Mag (any one) would be decent too. It is not because they are either big or tough, I have managed to dispatch quite a few with a 223, 308 and one with only a 9mmP. But way out there where the trained baboons tend to live (and yes, crop raiding baboons tend to get trained quite fast), the severely diminshed velocity of any bullet means much less "punch" than it would deliver with the typical shot at an antelope or gazelle. So the lack of terminal velocity (and likely no expansion) is compensated for by extra weight and extra diameter. If you actually go there and clean up the mess, you will be glad you used "enough gun". Carry a decent handgun anyway...

User

The baboon scenario is an extremely simple one.

They have tried to trap and move baboons away from the troubled location, the next day they are back.
    If you don't give them a reason to fear you(cape town), they don't, they try and dominate you instead.

And most importantly, and no this is not aimed at you mr Stone, if you cant shoot don't take a shot at them. I have seen many examples of farmers calling for help only after they took a couple of shots at problem baboons, if that happened the task becomes much more difficult.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

Btw, I feel a 338 LM is just about the perfect calibre for baboons at long range.

Dammit, I already bought the 338wm, guess I'll just have to learn to shoot better

User

A 20 litre bucket size target from half a kilometre away....
    Wow!!

The baboon scenario is an extremely simple one. They have tried to trap and move baboons away from the troubled location, the next day they are back. If you don't give them a reason to fear you(cape town), they don't, they try and dominate you instead. And most importantly, and no this is not aimed at you mr Stone, if you cant shoot don't take a shot at them. I have seen many examples of farmers calling for help only after they took a couple of shots at problem baboons, if that happened the task becomes much more difficult.
    Trap them , paint them, shoot them, shoot at them etc etc. Baboons can be kept slightly at bay but not really managed. If you want the problem solved hire a helicopter and shoot out the entire troop. But that's not a holistic farming approach.

In terms of dominating... Having a close encounter in riverine bush leaves no doubt who's higher up on the food chain. The Cape Town and Hermanus chaps actually scare me more than the farm ones. They give zero Fs about you. Watching them saunter through a suburb of Hermanus, climbing into windows. Imagine one getting cornered by surprise by your wife / child.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast