Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Harris bipod

User

Default Harris bipod

So after doing some searching on gunsite and the web, I see the way to go would be Harris bipod.
    However I don't see anyone advertising or that keeps it.. Any suggestions as to where I could get one? I'm in Durban but I'm sure most guys would post.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Harris bipod

Safari and Outdoor, and they will courier it to you
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I'm also thinking of getting one.

What should one look out for when buying a bipod? Ideally I want one that will work for both prone shooting and sitting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mo-manack View Post
    So after doing some searching on gunsite and the web, I see the way to go would be Harris bipod.
    However I don't see anyone advertising or that keeps it.. Any suggestions as to where I could get one? I'm in Durban but I'm sure most guys would post.

Thanks
    Try Alan Henry at Natal Gun Company. I saw a few in his display when I was last there, a month or 2 ago.
    I am not sure what models they were.

User

The 6-9" Harris is mostly for shooting from benches, it's a little too low to use it for prone shooting with most rifles. The 9-13" works well for prone, that's what I have. The 13-27" is designed for sitting.

Also, most of the better copies are very "exact" copies, down to nuts and bolts, and sell for about 50% or less of the price. If you hold them next to each other only an expert will tell them apart. The Vanguard is decent and most shooters wont notice the difference. I would only get the real Harris if it was for a long range precision rifle. For other applications the better copies are fine.

The quick release function is also very handy, and I use the same bipod on three rifles. Saves me buying one for each, as the real Harris goes for almost R2k.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Safari and Outdoor, and they will courier it to you
    Strangely, its not on thier website anymore. Checked over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    Strangely, its not on thier website anymore. Checked over the weekend.
    Alot of there stuff is not on there.
    Ive got the smallest one. Nice for prone but as mentioned above. Sometimes a inch or so too low when in field.
    When that odd rock or bush is just in the way.

I also would like the one with the swivel in. Would help a bit.

I looked at the vanguard one. But dont like how far it stands away from rifle.
    I have the Parker hale bipod on my Walther KKM 22lr single shot.
    I love the way you can move it around. But it has a huge mounting block.
    That you use during shooting. Which again I dont want on my Hunting rifles.

So the Harris stays my favorite.
    Even the copied Harris models.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mo-manack View Post

Thanks
    I got mine from TheOpticZone in the US. Import fees were about $40 3 years ago.

User

Another option to consider would be Caldwell. I've been happy with my Caldwell XLA for three years now and I cannot fault any of its adjustments of functions. It is slightly cheaper than an equivalent Harris.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Another option to consider would be Caldwell. I've been happy with my Caldwell XLA for three years now and I cannot fault any of its adjustments of functions. It is slightly cheaper than an equivalent Harris.
    That's the one I was thinking about, not the Vanguard. The Caldwell is a very decent copy of the Harris. If I had to buy again I'd consider one of those. I think the 9-13" swivel model is R1150 at S&O.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast