Default Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50 AO

Hi All,

I bought my first rifle a Mossberg 270 from a gunshop that had a special were you receive a 3-9x40 scope included in the deal. They unfortunetly did not provide me with the name of the scope.
    I received my gun today and saw it had a nikko stirling mountmaster 4-12x50 AO scope on.
    As I am new to the hunting world my knowledge of scopes is limited and did not question this.
    I did some research this afternoon when I got home and saw that the nikko scope is designed for airgun and .22 rifles.
    Would it be a problem on the .270 and should I confront the gunshop regarding this?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50 AO

If the price for the rifle wasn't too bad, then think of it as a free scope (reason to get a .22 now to mount it on )
    Depending on your budget, there are plenty other options out there to mount on your 270.
    What's your budget?

User

Marshy I concur! That said Nikko Stirling make some nice scopes if it was an older Japanese Nikko I would trust it on the 270. The newer Chinese ones ???...

I have 2 Nikko Stirling 5-20x 50mm Target Masters doing duty on respectively my one .22 and a 223 bolt action and had good service from them. A mate of mine eyeballed the one on my 223 and got him one for his .338 Win Mag (against my advice) because it is a bargain he said his bargain was short lived with the .338's recoil, he is looking for a new scope.

I don't think you should confront the dealer these as Package deals and are meant to get guys into shooting at a fair price, for a once a year hunter it might work. Use It hard and it will give some time or the other. About like trying to get GTI performance out of a 1300 motor it will eventually give in.

User

Ive currently got a nikko sterling on my howa .270 when budget permits i will definitely change it for something better.

Even though 270 doesn't have a huge kick, it still loses zero quite often and that could end up being very expensive when hunting