Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Depressing

User

Default Depressing

I have an old 12 boar side by side shotgun. It's been in my family for many years and was actually used on our family farm by the staff at night to keep Buspigs out the Macadamia orchards. During one of these evenings one of the people fell asleep and the shotgun ended up in a fire the "security" dude sat next to. The stock got burned a bit but was still in tact. At some other stage my grandfather some how broke the stock in two. They fixed it with a bit of glue and some dells and continued using it.

The other day we had a clay pigeon shoot at our local Hunting Association. I happily grabbed my old family heirloom and was out the door. At the range the guys took one look at my shotgun and handed me another. They would not allow me to shoot it out of fear that the stock would come apart injuring me whilst shooting clays.

I came home and stripped it with the idea to do a way better job than my grand father. No such luck. There is a huge piece of wood in the but missing and the wood is so impregnated with years of oil my wood glue wont bind on it.

This shotgun is in my name, and with the licensing problems now a days I will rather sit with a broken licensed shotgun in my save, than a brand new over and under for six years in a dealers save waiting for the cops for my license. My question is, can I find a replacement synthetic stock for this weapon? I would rather go with synthetic material than wood. Here is a few pictures of the shotgun explaining make and model etc.

User

Default Re: Depressing

The other photos I was revering to.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Bosman...

Jeez man, we had a similar issue with the family airgun, an old Falke, that snapped through the pistol grip, horizontally. My toppie fixed it with a bolt diagonally through the grip and it still works today. Does not look nice, but it's fixed and I'm busy restoring it.

I can only suggest that you see a stock maker of good repute & chat to him. Best option would be to get a new stock, but getting a synthetic might be a bit difficult.

If you are in the CPT area, I can refer you to someone.

Good luck!
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BoerBok
    Bosman...

Jeez man, we had a similar issue with the family airgun, an old Falke, that snapped through the pistol grip, horizontally. My toppie fixed it with a bolt diagonally through the grip and it still works today. Does not look nice, but it's fixed and I'm busy restoring it.

I can only suggest that you see a stock maker of good repute & chat to him. Best option would be to get a new stock, but getting a synthetic might be a bit difficult.

If you are in the CPT area, I can refer you to someone.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I was thinking of putting a bolt through it but it broke at such an awkward place it is not an option. It will get in the way of the action.

I am up in the Limpopo province.

Give Bruce Wentzel of Valley Trading a call (number in GLOCK Advert in Magnum magazine) or Vincent of Ritchie Gunsmiths in Florida (West Rand).

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Well done, Armed Preacher.

Bosman, there you go!
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Just my opinion, but going the synthetic route will cause the gun to loose a lot of its character. Plastics is for tactical guns which needs to be light and take a knock or two. Nice and heavy wood stock on an O/U or S/S shotgun just looks the part and will probably make the gun easier to shoot due to weight. I am a fan of wood stocks though, so take it from who it comes from.

Before you start spending cash, do yourself a favour and see Chad at Arms in Monument Park, Pretoria. He makes some of the best gun stocks from scratch and uses the wood of your choice. The cost will obviously depend on the type and amount of wood required plus labour.

Their work is really outstanding.

User

Thanks guys. That is going to help me a lot.

+1 on ARMS. Their work is outstanding with excellent turnaround times. Wentzel is not taking on more work at the moment. Apparently the movie gun side is keeping him busy.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Ja...it seems I can expect to pay between R9000 and R15000 to have this but remade because it is not fixable. confused0068 Of to ISCOR we go then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast