Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Enduro riding.

User

Default Enduro riding.

Any Enduro racers/riders here. I'm thinking of getting myself a nice off road bike and getting into Enduro riding. Any advice as I'm a complete noob to things like this, rode a YZ125 many years ago in my early teens.Was thinking of getting myself a WR250 or something similar in that category. I suspect the YZ450 might be a bit much for me now as I ned to get usd to two wheels again.

User

Default Re: Enduro riding.

I'm also new to the enduro sport, so cannot give sound advice.

Maybe check out http://www.wilddog.za.net/, I based my purchases on their advice.

There's allot of info on the site and the guys are very helpful. Plus their for sale section has got a massive amount bikes for sale of all types.

User

Default Enduro riding.

Wr250f is a great starting point for a beginner, you won't go wrong.

Motor is a little tamer and torque curve wider than the mx 250s and the suspension a lot plusher, not ideal for hitting 60ft doubles but awesome for enduro. Electric start is awesome to especially after you have stalled and flooded it for the 47th time in a bog hole and you are stuffed (school fees!) The down side is a little more weight but that's ok.

A 450 is too much for a complete novice (not sure how much bike experience you have) as generally they will be scared of it, and I would be loathe to suggest an mx 250 2t as the power band can be brutal, which is really cool though once you are experienced!

You need to get a lot of time under your belt before you will be good enough to know what your riding style is and what bike will suit that, so start with the wr and decide from there if you are a big 450 bruiser or like a screaming 2 smoker, they all ride differently and are better suited to different riding styles.

I have always been a 250 4 stroke rider but my next bike with be a 250 or 300 2 stroke.

If you really want to learn to ride a bike well then get a 125 2 stroke, if you can ride that in the thick stuff you can ride anything!

R.I.P.

1. Make sure you have good medical cover.
    2. Buy a 2nd hand CRF230F someone bought for his wife/girlfriend, rode twice and left in the garage thereafter. This is an incredible bike for new riders to learn on, and probably the most affordable maintenance wise.
    3. To improve the quickest, learn and apply the theory and focus on improving slow technical skills. Perhaps even consider getting a trials bike before going into enduro. It's kindof like how spending time on shooting fundamentals makes you an all round better and faster shooter.
    4. Be careful who you ride with.
    5. Be ready to spend a lot of time and money. It's a rather consuming sport.
    6. Always wear your kit.
    7. Know that if you ride eventually you are going to hurt something badly, probably require surgery and a few months of rehab.

It's a great sport, it keeps you humble. Enjoy!

User

I have a KTM 250 , love the bike , ride mostly in Botswana

User

I ride a KTM300, but my blood is still blue. You cant go wrong with WR250 but also depends on your weight more the around 80kg get a a bit heavy for it.

I had 4 YZ250 2t with enduro spec, awesome bike.

Also check out www.moto101.co.za its a awesome forum dedicated to off road

Also ride KTM 300XC-W and just do it for fun with some mates. I can be wrong but as far as I know the WR250 etc are MX bikes and will struggle with the technical areas of your typical enduro tracks with their small flywheels ? You can also have a chat with Gary Whitehouse from dirtbike fanatics (Dirtbike fanatics)

User

Yamaha wr series are Enduro and Yz are the mx spec
    That's why you see the wr conversion to the yz250 for Enduro riding. It's a heavier flywheel and a shorter first gear and a longer final gear (can't remember it's 4 gears or 5)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craven View Post
    Also ride KTM 300XC-W and just do it for fun with some mates. I can be wrong but as far as I know the WR250 etc are MX bikes and will struggle with the technical areas of your typical enduro tracks with their small flywheels ? You can also have a chat with Gary Whitehouse from dirtbike fanatics (Dirtbike fanatics)
    The WR is actually the Enduro version the YZ is the one with MX spec.

User

Thanks all for the advice.

I will be checking the sites mentioned. I would start off with just some weekend riding and eventually once my ankle has healed (Broke tib and fib with a medial laceration and ankle dislocation) I would like to get into Enduro as Rugby is no longer allowed.

Just to add a bit. I'm currently 110kg's 6 Foot. I suspect the 125 would be too small for myself. I'm suspect the 250 would do fine to carry my big ass around I hope.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast