Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Enduro riding.

User

Default Re: Enduro riding.

Quote Originally Posted by francois.viljoen View Post
    1. Make sure you have good medical cover.
    2. Buy a 2nd hand CRF230F someone bought for his wife/girlfriend, rode twice and left in the garage thereafter. This is an incredible bike for new riders to learn on, and probably the most affordable maintenance wise.
    3. To improve the quickest, learn and apply the theory and focus on improving slow technical skills. Perhaps even consider getting a trials bike before going into enduro. It's kindof like how spending time on shooting fundamentals makes you an all round better and faster shooter.
    4. Be careful who you ride with.
    5. Be ready to spend a lot of time and money. It's a rather consuming sport.
    6. Always wear your kit.
    7. Know that if you ride eventually you are going to hurt something badly, probably require surgery and a few months of rehab.

It's a great sport, it keeps you humble. Enjoy!
    I agree on the crf230f as a great beginner, however I do think you will grow out of it very quickly ,especially if your mates are on water cooled bikes, and end up wishing you had just bought the wr to start with.

The crf250x is also a good alternative.

User

Default Enduro riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Thanks all for the advice.

I will be checking the sites mentioned. I would start off with just some weekend riding and eventually once my ankle has healed (Broke tib and fib with a medial laceration and ankle dislocation) I would like to get into Enduro as Rugby is no longer allowed.

Just to add a bit. I'm currently 110kg's 6 Foot. I suspect the 125 would be too small for myself. I'm suspect the 250 would do fine to carry my big ass around I hope.
    Don't underestimate the 125, they actually make more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke but the 250 has a wider power and torque band whereas the 125 is more peaky with a narrow power band and hence why you have to use you clutch a lot more to keep it in the power.

This teaches you good clutch control which is possibly the single most important factor in becoming a good enduro rider.

You will do well to have your suspension looked at by someone who knows what they are doing as a stock bike is set up for a 65kg rider, getting the suspension setup right makes a MASSIVE difference!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craven View Post
    Also ride KTM 300XC-W and just do it for fun with some mates. I can be wrong but as far as I know the WR250 etc are MX bikes and will struggle with the technical areas of your typical enduro tracks with their small flywheels ? You can also have a chat with Gary Whitehouse from dirtbike fanatics (Dirtbike fanatics)
    I am sure mine is the 250 EXC , It is the Enduro model

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    I am sure mine is the 250 EXC , It is the Enduro model
    That it is!

User

I own a WR250f. Awesome bike for what you want it for. A buddy owns the CRF250x and it is just as awesome! Electric start comes in handy when you are stuck in a tricky situation.

The speedo/ trip meter is also a cool feature.

Be careful on racing 4strokes they go for much cheaper but most have been hammered hard and shim clearance goes out very often. If your shim clearance isn't correct you WILL suffer to start your bike. This is something I learned the hard way.

If you are going the KTM route bear in mind that these bikes are generally not bought to be used for social riding, they have lived much harder lives. Something I also learned the hard way.

To add:
    Don't get tempted to buy a 450 just yet. There are plenty available at good prices however the added weight changes alot of riding dynamics. 15-20kg may not seem as much but it makes a huge difference to handling and riding.

Thanks all for the advice.

I will be checking the sites mentioned. I would start off with just some weekend riding and eventually once my ankle has healed (Broke tib and fib with a medial laceration and ankle dislocation) I would like to get into Enduro as Rugby is no longer allowed.

Just to add a bit. I'm currently 110kg's 6 Foot. I suspect the 125 would be too small for myself. I'm suspect the 250 would do fine to carry my big ass around I hope.
    A small bike like a CRF230F or 250 4-stroke has sufficient power for someone who is light, but for you I don't think it will manage.

If I was you I would look for a 250CC 2-stroke or a 350CC+ 4-stroke.

For enduros with lots of rock/technical I prefer 2-stroke, for sand I prefer 4-stroke.

Banned

I am 110kgs and the 250cc 4-stroke bikes seem a bit pap. I got a WR450 and it is just right, used to have a DR500 and boy that thing was fun in the sand.

User

So it seems the 125 would be too small. The 250 would work but I might upgrade at a later stage. Is a 450 too much for a starter or must I look at a 300 perhaps.

So it seems the 125 would be too small. The 250 would work but I might upgrade at a later stage. Is a 450 too much for a starter or must I look at a 300 perhaps.
    450 4stroke will be fine, but it is heavy. For enduro you want light and nimble.

If I was you I would rather go for a 250 or 300 2-stroke, or one of the 350ish 4-stroke offerings.

The KDX 200 was a brilliant allround bike but seems no longer made. Two stokes on the whole are simple and require very minimal maintenance unless thrashed. 4 strokes unless properly serviced used to (I don't know about now) have a bit of a reputation for blowing motors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast