User

Default JUDASBOK - Wynand du Toit

"In Mei 1985 land ‘n nege-man-span van die Suid-Afrikaanse Spesiale Magte op ‘n strand in die olieryke Cabinda-provinsie van Angola. Hul uitsluitlike doel is die vernietiging van ses massiewe olie-opgaartenks. Die daaropvolgende skietgeveg lei tot die dood van twee soldate en die gevangeneming van kaptein Wynand du Toit. Dit alles dui op een ding: Verraad!

Lees hier in sy eie woorde die gebeure van daardie nag en die diepgaande nagmerrie van sy gevangeneskap, die sameswerings en die uitein*delike afleiding dat die hele operasie slegs ‘n opening*skuif was wat uiteindelik die Suid-Afrikaanse volk moes mislei tot oorgawe in Angola en die onafhanklikheid van Namibië.

Judasbok beloof om die leser op ‘n ongelooflike intense er*varing te neem en ‘n indiepte kyk te gee na wat agter die skerms gebeur het en wat aanleiding daartoe gegee het dat Wynand du Toit ‘n huishoudelike naam in Suid-Afrika geword het."

Just finished reading this book, very good, but it brings a lot of questions to mind

User

Default Re: JUDASBOK - Wynand du Toit

There was never anything like a full disclosure, for obvious reasons, when a certain Admiral Gerhart was charged and found guilty of high treason around this time for passing Ops info to the Soviets. This was reputedly one of the Ops he compromised. He should have been shot IMHO.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    There was never anything like a full disclosure, for obvious reasons, when a certain Admiral Gerhart was charged and found guilty of high treason around this time for passing Ops info to the Soviets. This was reputedly one of the Ops he compromised. He should have been shot IMHO.
    Gerhard was caught by the yanks, by accident I must add. South African intelligence didn't know he was a double agent. Part of the agreement for his return to RSA was no death penalty, unfortunately.

User

Gerhardt was arrested in 1983 as far as I know. Major du Toit was captured in 1985.

User

Not to split hairs but Gerhardt was a commodore, which in today's ranks is a rear admiral (JG). Goodness knows how many lives he compromised. He should have swung in my opinion.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Not to split hairs but Gerhardt was a commodore, which in today's ranks is a rear admiral (JG). Goodness knows how many lives he compromised. He should have swung in my opinion.
    And
    Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Part of the agreement for his return to RSA was no death penalty, unfortunately.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Gerhardt

holy shit, thx for that little gem. interesting reading!

User

From what I have been able to piece together IMHO the OP should have been delayed till the next evening. Because of the delay caused by waiting for the fire on the beach to be extinguished. When they continued with the OP the grass had dew on it and this led to them being able to be tracked. That is what led to there capture.